Tuition Payment Deferments

In accordance with University policy, tuition and fees must be paid in full prior to the beginning of the term. The only permissible deductions or postponements of payment are financial aid awards in the form of student loans, scholarships, and employer tuition payments made directly to the University. All tuition payment deferments must have appropriate supporting documentation on file at the University Bursar’s Office before the beginning of the term.

To ensure prompt payment of tuition when third parties are involved, be sure you have completed all steps in the student loan process, submitted all military tuition assistance (TA) forms, or completed employer assistance documents. Please gather the necessary materials and forward to the Bursar’s Office right away to achieve financial clearance and avoid delays in your enrollment. If you are unclear about supporting documentation or have questions about third-party payments of tuition, please call or email us in the Bursar’s Office.

Deferments When Paying with Federal Stafford Loans/Federal Unsubsidized Loans

In order for Loans-in-Process to defer a student’s payment of tuition and fees, the Office of Financial Aid must be in receipt of the student’s loan application (i.e., Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Once the student's FAFSA is received by Norwich, a financial aid award package will be created and the student will be emailed information about how to access their Norwich financial aid account (NetPartner). With NetPartner, students submit their decision about accepting all or some of their financial aid package.

If the loan amount is less than the total tuition and fee bill, the student is required to pay the difference between the amount of the bill and the amount of the loan no less than two weeks prior to the start of the semester. The loan funds will not be disbursed until the Office of Financial Aid receives all required documentation from the student. If you have questions about the loan process or about your award, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

What is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

When do you apply for federal aid?

Please Note: The Federal Direct Student Program will deduct an origination fee from the total amount of your loan each semester.

Deferments When Paying with Veterans Benefits

When Benefits are Paid Directly to Norwich

If you are utilizing VA benefits paid directly to the University (e.g., Chapter 33 Post-9/11 or Vocational Rehab), you may qualify for postponement of payment, depending on your specific benefits and level of eligibility. If you do not already have your Certificate of Eligibility we suggest that you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students with less than 100% coverage will need to pay the remaining balance prior to the term start.

Please Note: The Federal Direct Student Program will deduct an origination fee from the total amount of your loan each semester.

When Benefits are Paid to You

If you are utilizing VA benefits paid directly to you (e.g., Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill), you will not qualify for postponement of tuition payment and are required to pay tuition and fees in full prior to each semester. Please contact the Office of Finanical Aid for details about loans if you believe that your VA or third-party benefits will not be accessible to you until after the semester begins.

To get started  visit the VA website and apply for your education benefits. The application process with the VA could take up to eight weeks, so begin now. Once the process is complete, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility indicating both your Chapter benefits and the percentage of eligibility. You must then send a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to Norwich by email to, by fax to 802-485-2533, or by mail to the following address:

Norwich University
Attn: Judy Sassi
PO Box 367
Northfield, VT 05663

Veterans Benefits, Third-Party Reimbursements, and Impact on Institutional Aid

VA benefits or other third-party plans paid directly to the student do not qualify for tuition payment deferment. Students using such plans must be prepared to pay tuition and fees in full prior to each semester.

Outside scholarships are considered a part of the student’s financial aid award and must be factored into the student’s overall eligibility for federal, state, or institutional aid. It may be necessary to reduce some or all of the existing aid as a result of outside scholarships, depending on the amount of the scholarship. VA benefits can impact the amount of the student’s institutional aid if both the VA benefit and the institutional aid are designated to cover tuition.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at