Non-Degree and High School Student Programs

Electrical engineering students from February 2023

High school students looking for an academic challenge. Adult learners looking to continue a life-long pursuit of knowledge, but not interested in earning a degree. Professionals needing to finish of a few pre-requisites before beginning a Master’s degree program. There are many reasons why you may want to take classes from Norwich, but not enroll in a degree granting program. Don’t worry – we can help you get the courses and credits you need.

Non-degree Seeking Students at Norwich University

Non-degree seeking students, also known as non-matriculating students, are those students who want to take courses at Norwich, but are not currently seeking a degree from us.  This includes Norwich faculty, staff and their immediate family members using the tuition benefit to take some classes, but who are not seeking admission to a degree program.  Credits earned by non-degree seeking students will be reflected on the student’s permanent NU transcript

Exchange Students

If you are an exchange student, or if you are a domestic student seeking to take part in one of Norwich’s Summer Abroad programs (i.e. Maymester), please contact the Norwich International Center at or 1 (802) 485-2934 for instructions on how to apply.

Vermont High School Students

If you are a high school student in the state of Vermont and are interested in taking classes at Norwich prior to graduating from high school, you may be eligible for the Flexible Pathways Program. For more information, visit our Flexible Pathways web page prior to applying as a non-degree-seeking student.

Deadline: Rolling Admissions

Eligibility requirements:

  • 2.0 High School GPA (high school transcript required) or
  • Previously earned quality points from a college-level course (college transcript required)

Program Notes:

  • Tuition fees are calculated on the number of credits a student takes. A schedule of fees is available on the Bursar’s page.
  • Degree-seeking students will have priority registration over non-degree-seeking students.
  • Non-degree-seeking students must meet course prerequisites to attend. Placement examinations may be required.
  • To become a degree-seeking student, students MUST apply to Norwich for admission into the degree-granting program.
  • Non-degree-seeking students who are full-time students (12 or more credits per semester) and who meet age restrictions may apply for on-campus housing through the Norwich Residential Life Housing Director at .
  • The Admissions office does not process or provide course overrides. An override may be needed when a student is seeking to take a course that is full, is restricted to a certain class level, or is restricted to a specific major. In addition to the reasons listed here, other overrides may also be necessary. If a student requires an override or have other questions about a course, they must contact the Chair/Director of the program offering the course (Faculty listing). For courses offered during summer months, the students may also contact the Summer School Coordinator at or 1(802) 485-2354.

How to Apply

Prior Attendees: Students who have previously attended on-campus courses at Norwich, complete the Registration Form available from the Registrar’s Office here:

Non-Prior Attendees: Students who have not previously attended on-campus courses at Norwich:

  • Apply Here
  • Select the Degree Category “Non-Degree Seeking”
  • Select the appropriate Admissions Category: Dual Enrollment, Early College or Non-Degree Seeking. Definitions of and information for Dual Enrollment and Early College students is found here.
  • In the Academic Major field, select the academic field that you are most interested in studying.  Note that as a non-degree seeking student, you will not be admitted directly into a degree program: this field serves to only inform us what your primary academic interest is.
  • Select the appropriate Entry Term (i.e. "Fall 2021")
  • In the Lifestyle field, select Civilian Commuter or Civilian Residential. Non-degree seeking students cannot join the Corps of Cadets.
  • Provide copies of high school or college transcripts
  • Provide a statement addressing why you want to take courses at Norwich
  • If you are a High School student seeking to take classes at Norwich but are NOT enrolling through Flexible Pathways, you will also need to:
    • Provide a letter of recommendation from a School Counselor
    • Submit the Principal Authorization form

Contact Information

If you have general questions about taking courses at Norwich University as a non-degree seeking student, or are interested in applying, contact the admissions office at or 1 (802) 485-2001.

If you have questions about taking Summer School courses at Norwich, please contact the Summer School Coordinator at or 1(802) 485-2354.

If you are a Prior Norwich Attendee and have questions about registering for additional courses, contact the Norwich Registrar’s Office at or 1 (802) 485-2035.