For High School Students and Incoming Rooks
FLC is a two-week, military-style, summertime adventure experience that builds understanding of small-group leadership techniques, leadership ethics, teamwork, problem-solving, and communication.
Participants will encounter challenge, excitement, and fun. Activities include rappelling, paintball, first-aid, classroom instruction, a challenge course, and more. Teams are led by current Norwich University students and professional leaders to ensure expert instruction and a life-changing experience.
What happens at FLC?
A typical day begins at 5:30 a.m. and includes morning physical fitness followed by training sessions that focus on individual and team skills. Each participant will serve as “team leader” for one day and be evaluated on performance. Evening sessions focus on interactive classroom instruction on the methods, traits and principles of leadership, and effective communication.
Participants confront physical challenges such as climbing and rappelling the cliffs of Deer Leap Mountain. They practice wilderness survival skills during a three-day “in the woods” overnight exercise, and then test what they’ve learned during the Bushmaster Course. Teams spend their final days competing in the Olympic Challenge Course, a drill competition, and skit night.
Who is eligible?
Applications are welcome from high school students. Qualified applicants should hold a minimum 2.5 GPA. While not required, involvement in leadership-driven organizations such as Junior ROTC, Civil Air Patrol, Sea Cadets, student government, athletics, scouting and school, religious/faith-based organizations, community or volunteer organizations is a big plus.
What are the application requirements?
A complete application includes:
- The online registration form
- A copy of your most recent academic transcript
- A resume (listing academic, leadership, extracurricular activities, and other accomplishments you feel will help your application)
- A letter of recommendation
- Medical waivers/forms (which we will email to you).
What is the cost?
A session costs $1,975, which includes: uniforms, room and meals, and all activities!
Are you thinking of attending Norwich? If you complete the Norwich University Future Leader Camp while still in high school, you may be eligible for a $2,000 FLC scholarship that will apply toward the cost of Norwich University tuition for each of 4 years—that’s a total award of $8,000, more than most summer jobs!
Are scholarships available?
- Vermont residents are eligible for a $500 scholarship toward the cost of FLC.
- Dependents of and members of the Vermont National Guard who are juniors or seniors in high school with a 3.0 GPA or higher may be eligible for a scholarship that would cover the full cost of FLC.
- Members of Civil Air Patrol who have achieved the Wright Brothers Award are eligible for a $1,000 scholarship toward the cost of FLC.
Interested in returning to FLC as a corporal?
Students who have completed at least one prior session of FLC and have maintained a 2.5 GPA or higher are invited to apply for a corporal position.
There is a $700 discount for all accepted corporals. Apply to Be a Corporal
Flying in for FLC