Whatever you think you're capable of, you can achieve here—and more. Learn how a Norwich education prepares you to lead in a career you love.

Request Info

Celebrating 200 Years—Learn More About Norwich

Expect Challenge. Achieve Distinction.

Financial Aid

Article Index

Student Withdrawals and Refunds

In the event that a student leaves Norwich University during an academic term either voluntarily or involuntary they are subject to the university's refund policies. Students should review all financial policies as outlined by the Bursar's Office. The withdrawal date that is used in determining a student's refund or repayment will be defined as the actual date that the student begins the withdrawal process, the student's last day of academically related activity or the midpoint of the payment period for a student who leaves without notifying the institution. The U.S. Department of Education requires Norwich University to use the Return of Title IV funds policy for students who withdraw from school and who are receiving Federal Title IV student financial aid. Title IV funds refer to federal financial aid programs authorized under the Higher Education Act of 1965 (as amended) and includes the following programs: Federal Direct Loans, Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans, Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), Federal Graduate/Professional PLUS, Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grants, Academic Competitiveness Grants, and SMART Grants. The U.S. Department of Education stipulates the way funds paid toward a student's education are to be handled when a recipient of Federal Student Aid (FSA) withdraws completely from an institution. A statutory schedule is used to determine the amount of FSA funds a student has earned when he or she ceases enrollment. Up through the 60-percent point in each payment period or period of enrollment, a pro-rata schedule is used to determine how much FSA funds the student has earned at the time of withdrawal. After the 60-percent point in the payment period or period of enrollment, a student has earned 100 percent of the FSA funds. In general, the Amendments require that if a recipient of FSA assistance withdraws from a school during a payment period or period of enrollment in which the recipient began attendance, the school must calculate the amount of FSA assistance the student did not earn and those funds must be returned. The percentage earned is one of the following:

  • If the student withdrawal  occurs on or before the student completes 60 percent of the payment period or period of enrollment for which assistance was awarded, the percentage earned is equal to the percentage of the payment period or period of enrollment for which assistance was awarded was completed.
  • If the student withdrawal occurs after the student has completed 60 percent of the payment period or period of enrollment, the percentage earned is 100 percent.

The percentage and amount of aid not earned is the percentage of FSA assistance earned, multiplied by the total amount of FSA assistance that was disbursed (or could have been disbursed) to the student, or on the student's behalf, for the payment period or period of enrollment, as of the day the student started the withdrawal  process or the date the institution determined the student withdrew. . If the student received disbursements ofFSA assistance that were less than the amount earned, the school must comply with the procedures for post-withdrawal disbursements, specified by the department of education. If the student receives more FSA assistance than the amount earned, the school, the student, or both must return the unearned funds as required, and in the order specified. The school must return the lesser of:

  • The amount of FSA funds that the student does not earn; or
  • The amount of institutional costs that the student has incurred for the payment period or period of enrollment multiplied by the percentage of the funds that were not earned.

The student (or parent, if a Federal Parent PLUS loan) must return or repay as appropriate, the remaining unearned FSA grant and loan funds. However, a student is not required to return 50 percent of the grant assistance received by the student that would be the responsibility of the student to repay. The student (or parent) must return the unearned funds to the appropriate programs in accordance with the terms of that program, including overpayment of grants. Grant overpayments are subject to repayment arrangements satisfactory to the school or overpayment collection procedures prescribed by the Secretary of the Department of Education. FSA funds for the payment period or period of enrollment for which a return of funds is required must be returned in the following order:

  • Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans
  • Subsidized Federal Direct Loans
  • Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loans
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants.
  • Academic Competitiveness Grants
  • National SMART Grants
  • Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grants
  • Iraq Afghanistan Service Grant
  • Other assistance under Title IV regulations

The student will be issued the larger of the institutional refund or the federal refunds. Any questions should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid at (802) 485-2850 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Need Help? Contact Us!

Office of Financial Aid
1 (800) 468-6679 | 1 (802) 485-2850

Send Email
Celebrating our Bicentennial!
academic calendar
Academic Calendar
& Programs
Calendar of Events
Your Impact

Norwich University admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.