For high school students and incoming rooks
FLC-V is a 5-day summertime virtual experience that builds understanding of small-group leadership techniques, leadership ethics, teamwork, problem-solving and communication.
Participants will encounter challenge, excitement, and fun. Activities include physical fitness, leadership, drill and ceremony, webinar instruction, practical exercises and more. Teams are led by current Norwich University students and professional leaders to ensure expert instruction and a life-changing experience. Each participant will have the opportunity to practice their new leadership skills as team leader of the day.
Future Leader Camp – Virtual will run Monday, July 12, 2021, through Friday, July 16, 2021. Each day is from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST.
Registration is open and will end at 4 p.m. July 5, 2021.
Who is eligible?
Applications are welcome from high school students who have completed 9th grade thru 11th grade. Graduated 12th-grade students who are incoming rooks with a paid deposit to Norwich University are also eligible.
What are the application requirements?
A complete application includes:
- The online registration form complete with payment
What are the computer requirements to participate?
- Download and set up free accounts for both GoToMeeting and Discord. Both systems will be used. Zoom may also be required.
- Internet connection: 1 megabit per second or better (broadband recommended).
- We recommend you use a desktop or laptop computer; tablet computers tend to experience more technical troubles.
- We recommend, but do not require, you have more than one screen. Two is optimal.
- There may be other software required to participate in some team-building exercise that is at a cost to Norwich and free to you, if you don’t already have it (i.e., Steam). Soon after registration closes, we will work with you on obtaining the paid software.
GoToMeeting software requirements:
- Windows 7 on up for Windows-based computers
- OSX 10.10(Yosemite) on up for Mac-based systems
- 1 megabit per second or better (broadband recommended)
- GoToMeeting desktop app
- 2 gigabytes or more of RAM
- Microphone and speakers or headset equivalent
Discord Software Requirements:
- 2 gigbyte minimum
- NVIDIA GeForce 6200 or AMD RADEON 9550 minimum or higher
- Windows 7,8,or 10 for Windows based computers
- MacOS 10.10 (Yosemite) on up for Mac based systems
What is the cost?
Cost is $200 per participant and is nonrefundable. Payment is due with registration.
What are the benefits of attending?
- Thinking of attending Norwich? If you complete the Norwich University Virtual Future Leader Camp while still in high school, you may be eligible for a $2,000 FLC scholarship that will apply toward Norwich University tuition for each of four years — that’s a total award of $8,000, more than most summer jobs. To be eligible, you must participate in all sessions and all five days of the camp.
- Want to know about the Norwich University lifestyle? Enables high school students to interact with current Norwich University students and to learn more about the campus and lifestyles offered.
- Do you have the traits of an effective leader? Improved leadership skills and communication techniques for all high school students grade nine through 12 regardless of being college-bound.
- Know how to apply for college and ROTC scholarships? All students will learn timelines for applying to college and ROTC scholarships. This really benefits students in ninth through 11th grade, as most realize late that applications should have been submitted a year or two in advance. You don’t want to miss deadlines.
- Need to build your high school résumé? Learn the importance of the resume. And, it makes for an excellent resume data point for aspiring students.