Rooks must have the following items upon arrival on Rook Arrival day:
- Proof of identification (see information below)
- 2 pair tan military-style, laced up combat boots*
- 1 pair black military-style dress shoes*
- Be sure to break in the shoes and boots over the summer!
- Do not submerse the combat boots in water to break them in.
- 10 white crew-neck T-shirts (no V neck or pockets)
- 10 pair black dress socks
- 5 pair dark color boot socks
- 10 pair all white athletic socks (crew length with no logo above the heel)
* Related Article: Rooks: What to Bring
- 3 black/white sports briefs or compression shorts (logo on waistband is fine)
- 10 pair white briefs or boxers (white with logo on waistband is fine)
- 10 white or beige bras/sports bras (logo appearing is fine)
- 10 pair white or beige underwear (white with logo on band is fine)
- Barrettes/elastics to match to hair color; no fabric or scrunchies
- Sock or mesh bun to match hair color
- Bobby pins: required only if hair is below collar length
- Hair spray or gel (example: L.A. Looks Sport Gel)
- 1 sports bathing suit, one-piece, navy or black color (acceptable with conservative accent stripes)
If you already own a set of business attire bring it. Rooks who intend to play varsity athletics and make the travel team are required to wear business attire for away competitions. Some professors require business attire for presentations or class trips; however, it’s not necessary to purchase business attire for arrival day. Rooks will be notified in class by their professor with sufficient time to acquire such.
- For males: sport coat, dress shirt, tie, dress pants, dress belt, civilian dress shoes.
- For females: business suit, appropriate blouse, skirt/conservative stockings or slacks, civilian dress shoes.
The following items are required upon arrival to campus:
- Norwich computer account name and password information
- FAFSA pin number (as applicable)
- Prescribed medicines as annotated on required medical form by Admissions
- Prescribed eyeglasses and/or contact lenses and solutions
- Toiletry items (deodorant, soap/shampoo, tooth brush/paste, shaving cream/razor plain/electric, tissue packs, etc.)
- Hangers, 25 minimum – Plastic (black or white) or wooden
- Shoe polishing kit for Rooks who desire leather shoes requiring polish (black polish, cotton balls, shoe brush, cloth). Kit available at the Cadet Uniform Store.
Required and available for purchase at the University Bookstore:
- Laundry soap, static cling sheets
- Sewing kit and scissors
- 1 table alarm clock (no clock radios)
- All purpose cleaner
- School supplies (paper, scissors, stapler, tape, ruler, paperclips, folders, etc.)
- Sheet protectors, clear, 8x11 inch (minimum 1 dozen)
- Ball point pens (black ink)
- Black fine point permanent marker (Sharpie brand ideal)
- 5 dry-erase markers (black only, fine point)
- Thumb/Flash drive
- Masking tape, easy peal type (3/4 inch)
- Surge Protector - 3 Prong-UL listed
- Cleaning rags
- Spray bottle
- Quarters for laundry or money on the Cadet Cash Card ($1.75 each for wash/dry loads).
Required and available for purchase after arrival at the Uniform Store:
- Book bag or transport pack, black, conservative. (Brand available at our Uniform Store is Rothco Transport Pack – size large).
- 1 wristwatch (inexpensive, conservative color required; water resistant recommended)
- 1 flat iron
- 1 ironing board, floor model
- Broom and dust pan
We recommend freshmen use the basic University linen service; however, if you are NOT planning to use the linen service, you will need to bring:
- 1 pillow, standard size (1 provided with linen service.)
- 4 white sheets, twin size, standard, flat not fitted (4 provided with linen service)
- 2 white pillowcases (2 provided with linen service)
- 4 white towels, bath size (6 provided with linen service)
- 5 white washcloths (NONE provided with linen service)
- Cell phone - for travel purposes to/from campus and weekly phone calls. However, cell phone use is restricted during the Rook training period.
- Desktop or laptop computer - visit the Computer Services page for information
- Ethernet Cord (minimum 5 ft., no longer than 20 ft.)
- Scientific Calculator
- Desk lamp
- Fan, personal, desk size
- 3x5 Index Cards, lined
- Manicure kit/nail clippers
- Multi-purpose tool (knife blade may not exceed 3 inches)
- Extra pair of running shoes
- Thermal underwear (available at Cadet Uniform Store)
- Sports equipment for varsity/club sports
- Yaktrax or similar, boot size, for navigating during the winter ice season on/off campus
- Rooks serving in the National Guard or Reserves may bring equipment and uniforms required for weekend drill
- Limited cash with access to a debit account. ATM available in the Wise Campus Center.
- Quarters for laundry or money on the Cadet Cash Card ($1.75 for each wash and dry cycle). Change machine available in the Wise Campus Center.
PROOF OF IDENTIFICATION
All Rooks will receive a photo ID during Rook Arrival Day in-processing. A second form of photo ID is recommended.
At a minimum, all ROTC branches will need an original/certified Certificate of Birth and original Social Security Card or proof of citizenship. Copies of these documents will be made and originals returned to the individual. Specific ROTC branches will contact students prior to arrival if more information is needed. For questions, contact appropriate ROTC office: Army 802-485-2480, Air Force 802-485-2460, Naval 802-485-2185.
Individuals hired for employment by Norwich as work study or non-work study, applicants must have a current U.S. Passport /Passport Card OR a NU Student ID/Driver’s License and one of these originals: Social Security Card/Certificate of Birth/U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197). For questions contact Human Resources Office at 802-485-2075.
Passports are not required, but Rooks interested in travelling abroad for service learning or possible military training opportunities, will need a passport. Rooks are not authorized to study abroad during their Rook year, but are encouraged to do so as an upperclassman. Some varsity team will travel to Canada and Rook athletes selected to travel will need a U.S. Passport or state issued enhanced drivers license.