Expect Challenge. Achieve Distinction.

Article Index

Depending upon your circumstances, your procedure for leaving the U.S. may be different.  Review the information in the section below that applies to your situation.

Travel Documents

Recommended documents to carry when travelling internationally. Only show documents requested.

I-94 Arrival/Departure Card

Entering the U.S. after May 21, 2013 by air or sea port means your I-94 is electronic and you do not need to do anything.

Entering the U.S. by a land port or before April 26, 2011, surrender your paper I-94 card at the point of departure from the U.S. (unless traveling to Canada or Mexico)

Passport valid at least six months into the future

Form I-20 or DS-2019 with a travel signature.

Information on the I-20 says that the travel signature is valid for one year. However, based on recent SEVP guidance, the International Center recommends you get a new travel signature if you will reenter the U.S. more than 6 months from your last travel signature.

Valid F-1 or J-1 visa stamp in passport

Financial Documentation (bank statement, scholarship/assistantship letter)

Proof of enrollment (transcript, printout of current enrollment, and next semester’s enrollment, if available)

Renewing a Student Visa

You cannot renew your student visa stamp in the U.S. Except in rare cases, you must have a valid visa to reenter the U.S. It is not guaranteed that the U.S. consulate will renew your visa. If your visa application is denied, you cannot return to the U.S. 

Visa applicants should note the following:

  • Applicants are subject to security clearances that may take several months. Background checks can result from arrests in the U.S., field of study, country of origin, or other factors.
  • If you need a visa and will be traveling on a short trip, remember, you may encounter visa processing delays.
  • Appointments are required for almost all non-immigrant visa applications. Check the website of the U.S. consulate in your home country to see processing times at travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wait/wait_4638
  • Graduate students, professors and research scholars who are deemed to be studying certain “sensitive areas of study” may be subject to a security review. 
  •  If you are out of status and will be traveling outside of the U.S., you must speak with an international advisor before you leave the U.S. to make certain you have the required documents for reinstatement through reentry.

Automatic Revalidation for Travel to Canada or Mexico

For most students, travel to a country that is contiguous to the U.S. (Mexico, Canada, St. Pierre, Miquelon, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Bermuda, Jamaica, Winward and Leeward Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, Martinique) with an intended stay of less than 30 days (not applying for a new visa) may return to the U.S. on an expired visa. This process is known as automatic visa revalidation.

If you travel to Canada or Mexico, you may need a visa to enter that country.

For more information and restrictions, visit travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/automatic-revalidation

Study Abroad

It is important to remember that while you are on a Norwich Study Abroad program you are still a Norwich F-1 student and your SEVIS record will be maintained by the International Center.

Please make an appointment with an International Student Adviser when planning for your Study Abroad experience.

Authorized Early Withdrawal

Want to depart the US prior to completing your program? Complete the Departure Form [link to form]. Departing the U.S. without completing this form could result in a termination of status for Failure to Enroll.

Departure Form [link to form]


Transfer to Norwich University

F-1 students who have been admitted to Norwich University and are coming from another institution are considered F-1 program transfers, which is not necessarily the same as an academic transfer. The students will have to complete the Transfer In to Norwich form and submit this form to the admissions offices of the schools to which they have been admitted. They must also speak with the international student advisor at their current schools and request that their SEVIS records be electronically released from their current schools to Norwich. Once the SEVIS record is released and all other admissions materials have been submitted, the new Form I-20 from Norwich will be processed and sent to the student by the admissions office.

Transfer from Norwich to Another Institution

F-1 students who have made a commitment to attend another institution must inform the International Center and request that their SEVIS records be electronically released to the new school. It is advised that students discuss their travel plans and new program start dates with the International Center before settling on a SEVIS transfer release date.

Departure Upon Completion of Studies

After you have completed your program, you have a grace period within which to depart the U.S. If you remain in the U.S. after the end of your grace period following the end of your program, you will be unlawfully present in the U.S. Being unlawfully present in the U.S. could make you subject to removal and future bars from entering the U.S., even if you qualify later for a new U.S. visa through study, work, or marriage. Submit a Departure Form [link to form] to prior to leaving Norwich.

F-1 Students: 60 day grace period

If you wish to remain in the U.S. lawfully, you must do one of the following:

  1. Apply to the USCIS for a change of visa status before the end of your grace period
  2. Be accepted into a new degree-seeking program and receive a new I-20 before the end of your grace period
  3. Depart the U.S. prior to the end of your grace period.

J-1 Students: 30 day grace period

If you wish to remain in the U.S. lawfully, you must do one of the following:

  1. Depart the U.S. prior to the end of your grace period.
  2. Apply to the USCIS for a change of visa status before the end of your grace period

Travel after Graduation while on Optional Practical Training

If you plan to travel outside of the U.S. and then return for Optional Practical Training (OPT), we recommend you carry:

  1. Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card from USCIS
  2. Proof of employment (letter from your employer) or if you are not yet employed, have proof that you are actively seeking employment (proof of resumes sent, rejection notices from companies, and so on.) If you do not have a job, you may not be permitted to reenter the U.S.
  3. I-20 signed for travel
  4. Passport valid at least six month into the future
  5. Valid student visa

Norwich University admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.

Norwich University collects personal data about visitors to our website in order to improve the user experience and provide visitors with personalized information about our programs and services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you accept the information policies and practices outlined in our Privacy Policy.