THE ALUMNI MAGAZINE OF NORWICH UNIVERSITY
Photo: Cadets and alumni in stadium stands

NORWICH RECORD | Fall 2020

HOMECOMING GOES VIRTUAL
Norwich is prioritizing the health and safety of students, faculty, staff, and alumni by minimizing opportunities to spread SARS-CoV-2. For that reason, all large on-campus events have been postponed, canceled, or made into virtual events this fall—including Homecoming.

But here’s the good news: Alumni are warmly invited take part in a jazzy virtual homecoming experience 2020 Homecoming: From the Hill to Your Home on October 3–4. Featuring a variety of live-streamed and virtual events, the celebration will include everything from a welcome by President Mark Anarumo, to programs honoring donors and volunteers, a Regimental Band Bicentennial celebration concert, and social events you can enjoy with classmates and friends around the world. All without leaving the comfort of your living room.

And don’t fret: This year’s planned in-person celebrations of the 0’s and 5’s reunion classes have not been “canceled”—just postponed until Homecoming 2021 on September 23–26, when Norwich will also celebrate the 1’s and 6’s reunion classes.

GRADUATION RAINCHECK
The pandemic delayed but hasn’t stopped Class of 2020 seniors from celebrating graduation on campus. “While we don’t have a crystal ball to show what the world will look like in the months ahead, Norwich can make a promise that you can count on: The Class of 2020 can walk across the stage at a Norwich commencement ceremony,” Pres. Anarumo told them.

CAMPUS SAFETY
Norwich opened at 75 percent capacity for undergraduate residential students this fall. The remaining 25 percent will study online. Priority for on-campus attendance was given to entering freshman in the Class of 2024, NUCC cadre, ROTC cadets, and professional-track majors in engineering, architecture, nursing, and other fields that require extensive in-person labs and clinics. Students, faculty, and staff will undergo regular coronavirus testing.

COVID-19 TASK FORCE
President Emeritus Richard W. Schneider chaired Vermont Gov. Phil Scott’s Higher Education COVID-19 Task Force, leading a panel representing public and private colleges in the state. The group outlined the requirements the state’s higher-education institutions must follow to open safely for fall in-person classes. “Our goal is to make Vermont the safest place to go to college in the country,” Schneider said at a July 7 press conference.

HUMANITIES GRANT
NU was awarded a $138,917, three-year grant from the Davis Educational Foundation for “Building a Humanities- Centered Interdisciplinary Curriculum to Foster Citizen Scholars,” the second phase of the Norwich Humanities Initiative. The work aims to create an interdisciplinary minor that combines the humanities with technical and professional studies.

FUN FACT
In August, North Hall (a.k.a. Webb Hall) was renamed Schneider Hall in recognition of President Emeritus Richard W. Schneider’s 28 years of service to Norwich.

Photograph by Karen Kasmauski

academic calendar
Academic Calendar
camps
& Programs
events
Calendar of Events
Give
Your Impact

Norwich University admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.

Shoulder-to-Shoulder Initiatives

Norwich University collects personal data about visitors to our website in order to improve the user experience and provide visitors with personalized information about our programs and services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you accept the information policies and practices outlined in our Privacy Policy.