Spring semester arrival and our phased reopening begins Friday, January 15th and continues for four days through Monday, January 18th. To ensure the health and safety of our students and their families, and to distribute student arrivals over the four-day period, we have set up an arrival checklist system where students will be able to pre-schedule their arrival date and time. Arrivals will be scheduled in two-hour blocks from 1000-1200, 1200-1400, and 1400-1600 on each of the four arrival days.
This arrival checklist system in Banner SSB will open today, January 8th. The Student Check List includes the Student Behavior Contract, and Student Consent to COVID-19 Testing; Waiver and Release. Please review this information carefully as you acknowledge your consent and compliance. More information on Norwich University’s COVID-19 policies and procedures may be found here. To learn more about our COVID-19 testing procedure, please view this video.
Returning students who need to retrieve belongings from an off campus storage facility must do so prior to arrival. Students who arrive by flight and are not able to retrieve belongings from storage prior to arriving on campus will not be able to request leave until the campus quarantine period concludes on or about January 28th. Therefore, we ask that students pack and travel accordingly.
For those students who are flying into Burlington International Airport (BTV), please schedule your flight on whichever date (January 15th, 16th, 17th, or 18th) that best meets your needs, but make sure you will be on campus prior to 1600 on the 18th. Students arriving by flight are welcome to register for a shuttle to campus through Vermont Tour and Charter: https://vermonttourandcharter.com/norwich. The Student Check List also includes a link to Vermont Tour and Charter for your convenience.
Sodexo Dining Services Update
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to shape the way we serve you, we would like to share updated dining information with you to let you know what to expect during campus quarantine so that students have the best dining experience possible.
At all dining locations students are asked to:
- Adhere to all physical distancing guidelines; maintaining at least 6 feet between you and the guest ahead of you.
- Wear a mask in the food service area, this includes not eating while standing in line.
- Look for and adhere to directional and queuing signage.
- Sanitize your hands upon entry to all dining service areas.
- If you are selecting from one of our packaged goods, please only touch your final selection.
The Dining Hall
- Due to the cold nature of Vermont winters, we are asking that all Rooks and Cadre access the dining hall by entering in the ramp side entrance, up the staircase, then down the central staircase. This will help keep students out of the cold weather when waiting to enter the dining hall. Upperclassmen and Civilians are asked to enter through this door when there is a line in the lobby to avoid the cold weather.
- Upon entering the dining hall, all students will enter through the main cashier entrance.
- The flow of traffic will be in one direction to ensure safety of all diners.
- Utensils will be provided upon entry in individually wrapped packages.
- All food will be served; there will be no self-service.
During Campus Quarantine from January 15-28, 2021, students will dine by resident hall and barrack assignment. A student leader will be at the entrance of the dining hall to ensure students are eating during their assigned time by building. Students will receive a bracelet on their arrival day which will identify their resident hall or barrack assignment. Should your bracelet become unusable, please visit the main cashier at your scheduled mealtime for a replacement.
Special Hours of Operation
Special hours of operation are subject to change pending COVID-19 test results.
- January 15-26, 2021
Brunch: 10:00 AM- 1:40 PM
Dinner: 4:00 PM-7:40 PM (Shelf stable bagged breakfast will be available at dinner daily).
- Should a student have a synchronous class during their scheduled meal times from January 15-26, 2021, bagged meals will be available for pick up in The Mill from 10:00 AM -1:30 PM, Monday- Friday. Students picking up these meals are asked to enter next to the Pub entrance and exit through the front door to maintain one-way traffic.
Students will be assigned to the following meal pickup schedule during the Campus Quarantine:
- January 27, 2021: Resume normal hours of operation. In-person seating will reopen. After Norwich completes the student arrivals process, students will be able to select their preferred meal periods in Banner SSB. This is a change from the Fall 2020 semester assigned meal periods. Students will access the Dining Hall for in-person seating according to self-selected meal periods.
- January 27-31, 2021: 6:00 PM- 11:00 PM
- February 1, 2021: Resume normal hours of operation
- January 27-29, 2021: 7:00 AM- 1:00 PM
- January 30, 2021: Resume normal hours of operation
- February 1, 2021: Resume normal hours of operation
We know that there will be a period of adjustment to new policies and procedures with campus dining, but we will continue to deliver outstanding customer service, fun dining events, and safe activities that still allow for social distancing and more. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the Sodexo team prior to arrival on campus.
Campus Public Safety’s New Rave Guardian Mobile App
As part of the Norwich University ongoing commitment to campus safety, the Department of Public Safety is launching the Rave Guardian, a free mobile app that turns your smart phone into a personal safety device. Students can add their name, campus address, medical notes and other pertinent information for campus safety in case of emergency and a one button call feature enables easy emergency communication directly to campus safety. The Rave Guardian App can be downloaded in the Apple or Google Play store by searching for “Rave Guardian”; learn more at www.raveguardian.com.
Student Activities During Room and Campus Quarantine Period
The Campus Activities Board and Counseling and Wellness Center have partnered together to offer students an array of virtual programming during the room and campus quarantine period. The Norwich University online calendar will list all programming and planned events that range from yoga and meditation to chess tournaments, trivia night, and Call of Duty team challenges. For students looking for a good read, the Peace and War Center will offer free books that were nominated for Norwich University’s William E. Colby Award in 2020. The fiction or nonfiction books’ stories focus on military history, intelligence operations or international affairs. Free books will be in the residential halls.
Spring Semester Webinars Reminder:
We have designed webinars with updated COVID-19 procedures for Spring 2021 to make your transition to campus under the COVID-19 regulations as simple as possible. You will be emailed an invitation for the webinar specific to you.
For your planning:
- Tuesday, January 12, 1:00-2:00 EST, students who studied remotely in Fall 2020
- Tuesday, January 19, 1:00-2:00 EST, returning students
As a final reminder, you should now be quarantining at home, whether you reside in the state of Vermont or out-of-state. This is in addition to the campus quarantine that all residential students will participate in upon arrival and is extremely important to the well-being of our university family and the central Vermont community who depend upon every one of us to mitigate the potential spread of the COVID-19 virus.
We look forward to the start of the spring semester and your arrival next week.
Norwich Together, Norwich Forever!