Norwich University, with information provided by the Vermont Department of Health and the CDC, is monitoring the international outbreak of a respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus (2019-nCov). This was first identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China.
The college is not aware of any students, faculty or staff who may have been exposed to the coronavirus. We will share developments should they apply to our college community or region.
Any student who has a fever and cough and has recently traveled from Wuhan or had a potential exposure should self-isolate and immediately call the Student Health Center at 802-485-2552. The center is open Monday through Friday 7 a.m. – 10 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. – noon.
If you need medical attention outside the Student Health Center's operating hours, please contact the following health care facilities and inform them of your potential exposure:
- CVMC Emergency Department, located at 130 Fisher Road, Berlin, Vermont 05602. Open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. (802-371-4100)
Faculty or staff who have a fever and cough and have recently traveled from Wuhan or had a potential exposure should self-isolate and contact your health care professional for further guidance. You should also advise your immediate supervisor.
As with any cold and flu season, proper hand and respiratory hygiene should be practiced to reduce exposure to and transmission of many illnesses. This includes:
- Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water;
- When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue – throw the tissue away immediately and wash hands;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth;
- Avoid close contact with anyone who has a fever and cough.
As always, remember that medical attention and advice are available at the Student Health Center, 802-485-2552.
We thank you for your help keeping everyone safe and healthy, and we wish you the best as you start a new semester.
Dr. Frank Vanecek
Senior Vice President for Student Affairs & Technology