Expect Challenge. Achieve Distinction.

Exploring and Applying

Why should I participate in an education abroad program?
Education abroad can sharpen your critical thinking skills, deepen your capacity for independent problem-solving, offer hands-on learning experience in your academic field, strengthen your abilities as a leader, and provide priceless global competency for the increasingly connected world of the 21st century.

When should I go?
Students must have a Norwich GPA to study abroad and are not permitted to study abroad during the semester that they intend to graduate. Aside from that, when you study abroad is up to you in consultation with your academic adviser.

Can I go abroad for more than one semester? Is there a maximum?
Yes, you may be able to go for more than one summer and/or more than one semester. Keep in mind, it is important to meet with both the International Center and your academic adviser; planning is key.

Am I required to go to a location where I can get major/minor credit?
Not necessarily. You should choose a location where you can take coursework that contributes to your degree completion. Some students save electives so that they have more flexibility in choosing a location. Other students, especially in the STEM fields, are more likely to need to take major/minor courses abroad.

How early can I start applying?
You should start planning your overseas experience as soon as possible, but you will apply during the semester before the term that you intend to travel.

Can I apply to more than one program?
You should only apply to one program at a time, but you can go abroad more than once.

Is the education abroad application process competitive?
This depends on your program. Some programs are competitive and others are first-come-first-served.


Is there a minimum required GPA?
All students must have a 2.5 or above GPA at Norwich. Some programs may require a higher GPA.

Can only certain majors study abroad?
All majors can study abroad, but it may be more difficult for some majors to find programs that fit their schedules and degree requirements. For students like this summer, service-learning, and faculty-led programs may be the best options.

Do I have to speak a foreign language?
No, there are some programs available partially or entirely in English. But you should expect that if you travel to a non-English-speaking country that you will need to learn basic communication in the local language.

My program requires two semesters of a college-level language — what does this mean? This typically means that the program wants students to have completed all of the beginning level of the language and be ready to start the intermediate level.


Is there a list of the courses that count for my major/minor abroad?
In consultation with you academic advisor, you should create a list of the courses that you must take while abroad or that you have the option of taking while abroad. From that list you can search for programs that meet those course needs.

Will all the courses that I take be awarded Norwich credit?
All of the courses that you PASS may be awarded Norwich credit if you have the courses approved prior to your departure. If you withdraw from of fail a course while abroad, you will not bring back credit for that course.

Is there a limit on the number of units I can transfer to Norwich?
You must have completed 60 credits at Norwich by graduation in order to receive a Norwich degree and 45 of your last 60 credits must be earned at Norwich. You can transfer credits up to these limits.

Can I take general education courses abroad?
This may be possible, but you should confirm with your academic advisor.

Can I take classes on a no-credit basis?
Some programs offer coursework, internships, or service-learning without credit. You should check whether this is offered for the program you are considering.

Can I receive credit for an internship abroad?
Yes, there are for-credit international internships.

Overseas Travel and Housing

Does Norwich arrange my travel?
The senior coordinator for Education Abroad will help you to make plans and logistical arrangements for your experience. This may include assistance with arrangements for flights, accommodation, in-country travel, insurance and other travel needs.

What kind of travel documents will I need?
All students need to have a valid passport from their country of citizenship in order to travel abroad. You may also need a study or work visa depending on the type of travel you are planning and how long you will be in your host country. The International Center also recommends that students traveling abroad obtain an International Student Identification Card (ISIC). You can find the application on the forms (need link) section of the website.

What are the overseas living arrangements?
These vary by program. Some programs offer residence halls. Some offer apartment-style living. Others may offer the chance to live with a host family in a homestay.

I live in Norwich housing. What should I do about my contract through the housing office if I go abroad?
You should let the housing office know when you are applying to study abroad. They can arrange to dismiss you from your contract for the term that you are overseas.

Costs and financial aid

Can I afford to study abroad?
Almost all students can afford to study abroad if they plan carefully, take advantage of scholarship opportunities, and choose a program in their reasonable price range.

Can I use my financial aid to go overseas?
You may use your federal financial aid to go overseas. International studies majors, Chinese majors, and students traveling to the Norwich CityLab:Berlin program or one of Norwich’s exchange partners may also use their Norwich institutional aid.

Are there any scholarships available?
Yes. The Politi Scholarship exists at Norwich to help students fund overseas travel. There are also national scholarships such as the Gilman (for Pell grant recipients) and the Boren and scholarships offered by specific programs. You can find information about these and many other scholarships on our funding page.

Can I work abroad?
There are some programs that permit students to work abroad.


Could I talk to a student who has studied abroad?
Yes. Please contact Melanie Centeno at 1 (802) 485-2797 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to arrange a meeting. 

I still have a lot of questions. What should I do next?
If you have not yet done so, you should attend an Education Abroad 101 session. Check back soon for details. 

Norwich University admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.

Norwich University collects personal data about visitors to our website in order to improve the user experience and provide visitors with personalized information about our programs and services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you accept the information policies and practices outlined in our Privacy Policy.