Expect Challenge. Achieve Distinction.

Take Norwich with you. Travel in cohorts with classmates. Financial aid goes, too.

NU Expeditions Airfare Included

NU Expeditions include airfare as part of the total cost. To learn more about this benefit and many others please visit our Frequently Asked Questions.

NU Expeditions FAQ

Article Index

NU EXPEDITIONS: Virgin Islands

Where will Norwich students be studying and living in the Virgin Islands?

The University of the Virgin Islands (UVI) has campuses on the three main islands that comprise the territory. Norwich students will be a part of the Sheen campus located on the largest of the islands, St. Croix. The UVI Sheen campus has dorm-style housing available for students.

Where would I eat?

A dining hall is available on campus.

How much will it cost to study in St. Croix?

The cost is the same as your fall semester in Northfield, Vt., with incidental costs on your own as in a normal academic term. The cost of living may be different so your spending money may or may not go as far as it does in Northfield.

Note: Students attending Norwich through the Association of Vermont Independent College (AVIC) Semester Exchange Program are not eligible to use the AVIC tuition waiver to participate in Norwich Expeditions. For more information on how to be a guest student on a Norwich study abroad/away program, please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

What is not included?

Books, school supplies, passport and visa fee, personal expenses, non-school related travel expenses.

How large of an island is St. Croix?

The island is about 28 miles long and 7 miles across with a population of about 50,000 people.

Is the population English-speaking?

Yes, English is the main language but Spanish and French Creole is also spoken.

Can I travel on my own?

The island of St. Croix has two towns, one at each end of the island. The campus is located approximately in the middle of the island. Public transportation is available on St. Croix. To travel to other islands, you will take a boat or small plane. If you travel to islands outside the U.S. territories, you will need a passport.

Do I need a passport to study in St. Croix?

The U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are U.S. territories and therefore you would not need a passport. However, in some circumstances you may be required to show proof of citizenship so you may want to have a legal copy of your birth certificate or an enhanced driver’s license. If you intend to travel to other islands of the Caribbean, you will need a passport to do so.

Will the courses be Norwich courses?

No, the course credit will be UVI credits that will transfer back to Norwich.

What classes can I take?

The following courses have been preapproved to transfer back to Norwich: Law Enforcement/Community Relations, Juvenile Delinquency/Justice, Contemporary Caribbean Society, Caribbean History, Forensic Science, Spanish, Caribbean Government and Politics, Survey of Caribbean Music, and more!

What if I don’t need those classes?

You may take other courses available at the UVI Sheen campus, but you will need to complete the Transfer Credit Request Form.

What about my ROTC/National Guard commitments?

National Guard could probably still drill while on St. Croix as they have a National Guard presence on the island. In general, you should treat this like any other study away situation and follow the protocol to be in an inactive status for the semester.

Do I need to be a certain major?

This program was established with Criminal Justice majors in mind and their course credits are pre-approved. Other majors are welcome to participate in this NU Expedition. The credit transfer process will be the same as other regular study away programs.

Can both Corps and civilian students study in St. Croix?

Yes, both Corps and civilian students can study abroad together, and will be dressed as civilians. Corps members will have leadership and certain other responsibilities required to maintain their progress for the MCV degree.  

What is the application deadline?

Fall: March 1. Spring: October 1.

How do I apply?

Virgin Islands Application

Have more questions?

Contact Tom Blood at 1 (802) 485-2797 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. 

Norwich University admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.

Norwich University collects personal data about visitors to our website in order to improve the user experience and provide visitors with personalized information about our programs and services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you accept the information policies and practices outlined in our Privacy Policy.