Expect Challenge. Achieve Distinction.

Today may be on hold, but your future isn't.

webinar icon

The Norwich University campus tour experience is coming to you, right here via your keyboard or touch screen, so you can get the answers you need to feel right at home.


Get Answers to Your Questions About Tuition and Financial Aid

  • When do I need to turn in my financial aid paperwork? +

    The FAFSA application is available online at fafsa.ed.gov any time after October 1. When possible, the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) should be used when completing the FAFSA. This will ensure the most accurate tax information will be used. If students and families file using estimated information, your initial financial aid package is subject to change. The priority deadline to file the FAFSA is December 15. We recommend completing the financial aid paperwork as soon as possible.
  • When do financial aid funds disburse onto the student's account? +

    Students can anticipate financial aid funds, including scholarships, grants, and loans, will disburse at the beginning of each term. Funds will only be disbursed once a student has been verified as enrolled and has completed all the necessary financial aid paperwork. Failure to promptly submit paperwork will delay or possibly exclude financial aid funds from disbursing to a student's account.
  • What do I do if my family circumstances have changed since I filed the FAFSA? +

    The Office of Financial Aid requires students to complete a Loss of Income/Special Circumstance form if they are seeking additional aid due to a change in their family's financial situation. Please contact our office to request a form.
  • What is the Federal PLUS Loan? +

    Parents of dependent students may apply for a Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) loan to help cover educational expenses. Graduate students may also apply for a Grad PLUS Loan to cover additional expenses if needed. A Federal Direct PLUS loan applicant must complete an application and be credit qualified to borrow. Additional information can be found online at www.studentloans.gov.
  • How much does a PLUS loan allow parents to borrow? +

    Parents may borrow up to the cost of attendance minus any other financial aid the student receives. Federal Work Study funds are considered aid and are not subtracted from the student bill. If a family would like to borrow PLUS to the full cost of attendance, the loan funds can replacethe amount of Federal Work Study awarded.
  • What is Federal Work Study? +

    Federal Work Study (FWS) is a campus based federal fund which allows students to work part time on campus to earn money to pay for educational expenses. You must qualify for the need based FWS program by completing the FAFSA form every year. FWS funds are not subtracted from the student bill. The student must work to earn the funds and receive a bi-weekly paycheck for hours worked
  • Am I eligible for Work Study? +

    You may be eligible for work study if you:
    - Submitted your FAFSA before December 15.
    - Requested Work Study on the FAFSA.
    - Are eligible for need-based financial aid.
    A student's actual award will depend on the availability of Federal Work Study funds. Funds are limited, so we encourage students to file the FAFSA by the priority filing date and to submit all required paperwork as early as possible.
  • What's the difference between a subsidized student loan and an unsubsidized student loan? +


    A need-based federal student loan that does not accrue interest while the student is attending school at least half time enrollment. Direct federal loans have a six-month grace period, after enrollment ends prior to repayment starting.


    Interest DOES accrue on an unsubsidized loan as soon as it is disbursed to a students account. Students may pay the interest while in school, during grace periods, deferment or forbearance periods, or may allow interest to accrue and be capitalized (that is, added to the principal amount of your loan) upon graduation. If the interest is not paid as it accrues, it will increase the total amount of the loan to be repaid as there is now a higher principal.

  • How do I complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) for my direct subsidized/unsubsidized and/or PLUS loan? +

    The MPN is available online at www.studentloans.gov. Log in using the student FSA user ID to complete subsidized, unsubsidized, and Grad PLUS MPN's, or use parent FSA user ID to log in when applying for PLUS.
  • When do I start repaying my loans? +

    Direct Student Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans

    A student who is no longer enrolled at least half time, will enter a six-month grace period prior to being required to make loan payments. Repayment will begin at the end of the six months. This grace period is NOT renewable.

    Perkins Loan (No new loans after 2017/2018 year)

    Perkins loans have a nine month grace period after a student graduates, leaves school or drops below half-time status, before repayment begins. This grace period is renewable.

    PLUS Loan

    The repayment period for a Direct PLUS loan begins when the loan is fully disbursed, and the first payment is due 60 days after the final disbursement. However, for PLUS loans with a first disbursement date on or after July 1, 2008, the parent may defer repayment:
    - while the student on whose behalf the parent borrowed the loan is enrolled on at least half-time, and
    - for an additional six months after the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time.

  • My parents have questions about my financial aid package. Can you help them by phone? +

    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects the privacy of student records by requiring written consent before disclosing personally identifiable information to a third party. If a students has notcompleted a Consent to Release information form, the Office of Financial Aid cannot discuss any student specific information.
  • How does an ROTC Scholarship affect my financial aid package? +

    Students who become eligible for a full ROTC scholarship after receiving a Norwich financial aid award, are repackaged based on ROTC provisions. They do not retain their original awards. Tuition and other support is provided by ROTC and Norwich provides funding for room and board through the ID White Scholarship. Students who do not receive full tuition coverage through ROTC are repackaged with an ROTC based financial aid award. All ROTC students are able to retain their Federal Pell Grant eligibility in addition to their ROTC award. If a student is no longer eligible for a ROTC scholarship, their original Norwich financial aid award will be reinstated.
  • How are NU merit-based scholarships applied toward my charges? +

    NU Merit scholarship funds are a tuition only award. The total of NU Merit scholarships plus funding through outside resources specific to tuition may not exceed the total of tuition and fee charges for each academic year. Students eligible for need-based grants, Federal Pell Grant, or other outside scholarships may receive these awards above the total of tuition and fees, not to exceed the total cost of attendance.
  • How do veteran's benefits affect financial aid? +

    If you are eligible for veteran's benefits you should supply the Office of Financial Aid and the certifying official with a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility. students must apply with the VA for the Certificate of Eligibility.
  • Are my scholarships taxable? +

    Scholarships or grants used to pay for qualified tuition and course-related expenses are not taxable.

    However, if any portion of your grants or scholarships are used to pay for non-qualified expenses, such as travel or room and board, and you are required to file a tax return, then you are responsible for reporting this portion as taxable income. For further guidance and a description of qualified and non-qualified expenses, please review IRS Publication 970 (PDF), Tax Benefits for Education, Chapter 1.

    To determine the taxable amount, refer to the worksheet located on page 6 of the IRS Publication. If a student determines they have a taxable amount, it must reported as income, even if you do not receive a W-2 form. The taxable portion is included in the Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) on your tax return. On the FAFSA, you will report the taxable amount so that it will be deducted from your AGI, so as not to adversely affect your eligibility for federal student aid for the next school year.

  • What is the difference between Financial Aid and the Bursar's Office? +

    These are two separate offices. You should contact the Office of Financial Aid for any questions regarding your financial aid package, filing the FAFSA and questions related to loans, grants and scholarships. You should contact the Bursar's office regarding any billing-related questions.
  • What is the cash management statement on the Award Acceptance and Certifications form? +

    The cash management statement releases permission for the Bursar's Office to use financial aid funds to pay non-tuition costs such as parking fees or library fees. Signing this is optional.
  • My son/daughter already has medical insurance. Do they have to take the medical insurance at Norwich? +

    Medical insurance can be waived online at Gallagher Koster's website. Contact the Bursar's Office in regards to submitting this waiver.
  • Am I eligible to receive my Norwich scholarships and grants if I study abroad? +

    If study abroad is required for graduation from your academic program, you will be eligible to receive a portion of your scholarships and grants. Your aid will be adjusted according to the cost of the program you select. You will not receive aid in excess of the direct bill cost of tuition and fees. Students are eligible to retain their federal Pell Grant and student loan eligibility to help with additional costs. If you are required to study abroad for one semester to meet graduation requirements, you will only be eligible to receive your full NU scholarships and grants for one semester. If you are part of one of the cohort study abroad groups, your cost for the semester abroad will mirror your cost on campus and therefore your aid will remain fully intact.
  • 1
Need Help? Contact Us!

Office of Financial Aid
1 (800) 468-6679 | 1 (802) 485-2850

Send Email
  • Members of Norwich University’s Corps of Cadets in their green camouflage uniforms crowd around a U.S. Army recruiter’s table at a March 2017 career fair on the Norwich, Vermont, campus.

    Many happy returns (on investment)

    Georgetown University study ranks Norwich’s long-term value in the top tier among nation’s colleges As they consider their futures, soon-to-be high-school graduates and their parents wrestle with a wrenching question: Will investing in college pay off? If they’re choosing Norwich University, a new Georgetown University study suggests the answer is Read More
  • Army recruiter lauded for helping tuition break come to fruition

    Army recruiter lauded for helping tuition break come to fruition

    Army Sgt. 1st Class Rick Badem, chief of the Army’s Barre Recruiting Station, receives Army Commendation Medal for his work The message from James Montgomery Flagg’s famous recruiting poster is 103 years old, but still applies for young people — yes, Uncle Sam wants you for the U.S. Army. And if Read More
  • The wheels on the vans go ’round and ’round, for internships bound

    The wheels on the vans go ’round and ’round, for internships bound

    Vermont Labor Department grant-funded Career Cab program gets student interns to job sites Thanks to a Vermont Labor Department grant and Career and Internship Center Assistant Director Jim Graves’ efforts, internship-bound students at Norwich will have a ticket to ride. Read More
  • 1
  • 2
Celebrating our Bicentennial!
academic calendar
Academic Calendar
& Programs
Calendar of Events
Your Impact

Norwich University admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.

Norwich University collects personal data about visitors to our website in order to improve the user experience and provide visitors with personalized information about our programs and services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you accept the information policies and practices outlined in our Privacy Policy.