On March 12, the NCAA Board of Governors canceled all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships. This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, their ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given educational institutions’ decisions to shift to remote instruction. In keeping with the NCAA decision, and a similar decision by the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) conference, Norwich is suspending all winter and spring athletic activities, including practices and home and away games.
Group gatherings on campus will be limited to facilitate the social distancing recommended to slow the spread of COVID-19. Many Norwich events have been cancelled, as well as events hosted by Norwich.
With respect to Junior Ring Weekend, Commencement and Joint Commissioning and their importance to our students and their families respectively, we will continue to monitor the situation, prioritizing the health and welfare of the entire Norwich community and our central Vermont neighbors. A decision on rescheduling the Ring Ceremony will be made in the weeks ahead. A decision on graduation ceremonies will be made no later than April 15 and we will continue to work with the ROTC departments on individual branch commissioning and the Joint Commissioning Ceremony.
Regarding President Schneider’s Farewell Tour:
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, Norwich University is postponing the Boston, Washington D.C. and Northfield events until May 2020. Details will be forthcoming and registration will re-open when the dates are confirmed. We are sorry for any inconvenience this change may create and appreciate your understanding of the need to do so.
Event Updates as of March 13, 2020:
- March 14 NU Club of Seattle/Tacoma St. Patrick’s Day Social – canceled
- March 14 NU Club of Brevard County Annual Golf Outing – canceled
- March 17-18 Grad Finale – canceled
- March 17 NU Club of RI Luncheon
- March 18 Employee recognition – will be rescheduled, date TBD
- March 19 Spring Education Conference – will be rescheduled, date TBD
- March 20 Junior Open House – canceled
- March 20 Performance “Cry Havoc!” - canceled
- March 23 Shelter in Place campus drill – rescheduled, date TBD
- March 23 Writers Series welcomes author Abdi Nor Iftin – canceled, reschedule TBD
- March 25 Spring career fair - canceled
- March 25 Author Lecture: Not Like Joan of Arc with Pamela Toler – canceled
- March 26 DEI “Embrace Your Voice” Karaoke night – canceled
- March 27-29 YLC Weekend - canceled
- March 28 Vermont State STEM Fair - canceled
- March 28 DEI Roller Derby bout – canceled
- April 1 CSI Experience - canceled
- April 2 NU Club of the North Shore Monthly Breakfast - canceled
- April 2 – 4 Performances “Shakespeare at War/Shakespeare at Peace” - canceled
- April 3-4 Admissions event NU 101 – canceled
- April 6 DEI “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” – canceled
- April 8 NU Club of Portsmouth Monthly Breakfast - canceled
- April 16 NU Club of Cape Cod Monthly Luncheon - canceled
- April 21 NU Club of RI Luncheon - canceled
- April 22-23 NU Experience - canceled
- April 25 DC Honor Flight - reschedule TBD
For your convenience and further information, here are links to our other event calendars which will also be updated: