Thank you for your interest in the 2023 William E. Colby Military Writers’ Award. Our nomination window is now open and has a deadline of November 30, 2022.. We eagerly look forward to reviewing the submissions in the fall. Typically, we contact our top finalists in the late spring. In the meantime, we invite you to learn about the award and our past winners.
About the Award
THE COLBY AWARD recognizes a first book-length work of fiction, nonfiction, or poetry that has made a major contribution to the understanding of military history, intelligence operations or international affairs. A $5,000 author honorarium is provided to the award recipient through the generosity of the Chicago-based Pritzker Military Foundation.
Books are nominated by publishers, agents, or promoters, and cannot be self-nominated. All nominated books are considered in a two-step review process. First-round award reviewers carefully consider all nominated eligible books. Then, the five top-scoring titles are reviewed by the Colby Award Selection Committee, which consists of five former Colby winners and a committee chair.
Books are scored on their depth of research, significance of the work, subject-material clarity and writing quality. The Colby Award review process considers the book and its subject on its own merits absent author biographical context.
The Colby Award is presented annually at Norwich University during the NU Military Writers’ Symposium in Northfield, Vermont. The annual symposium is a signature event of the John & Mary Frances Patton Peace and War Center
To qualify for consideration for the Colby Award:
1. The book must be a FIRST WORK by the author.
2. Submissions must be received by the stated deadline.
3. Self-nominations are not accepted.
4. The Colby Award recipient must be present at the symposium at Norwich University and participate in an appearance at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library in Chicago based upon the author’s schedule.
To complete your nomination, please follow these steps:
- Complete the online nomination form.
- Submit the $60.00 nomination fee through our secure online payment manager.
- Mail 10 copies of the book to: Norwich University Peace & War Center, 158 Harmon Drive, Northfield VT 05663.
Deadline: Deadline: November 30, 2022 (Nomination window opens July 1, 2022)
Questions: See our FAQs.