Expect Challenge. Achieve Distinction.

Student Fall 2022 Arrival

Arrival Day


Check back for Arrival & Orientation 2022 FAQs by May 15

We’re glad you’ve chosen Norwich University for study. When you arrive on campus, we’ll be here to orient you, but there are some to-do items first. 

Q: Will there be a Student Checklist? How do we complete it?
A: Yes. All students must complete the Student Checklist, including prearrival registration, before arrival. Instructions and a link for the Student Checklist will be communicated to students after July 15. Students must complete each checklist item and select their appropriate arrival date.

Q: What if I'm away from email, at someplace like armed forces basic training? May a parent help complete this checklist for me?
A: We have resources to help. If you’re a Corps of Cadets member, email Interim Commandant William Passalcqua at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.; if you’re a returning civilian student, email Student Activities Director Greg McGrath at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. If you’re a new student, email the Admissions Office at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Q: How will students get their ID cards?
A: Student IDs will be issued on arrival. The cards are superimportant, storing meal plans, opening dormitory doors, allowing entry to the Wise Campus Center dining hall and storing Cadet Ca$h accounts. Prepaid Cadet$Cash accounts allow for budgeting predictability; parents can set up deposit schedules to meet students’ estimated expenses and get money to students’ accounts quickly and easily. Students should report lost or stolen cards to the Cadet$Card Office or Public Safety; lost cards will be disabled immediately. 

Q: When is civilian orientation?
A: A link to the residential civilian and commuter new-student orientation schedule has been emailed. The link goes to a SharePoint information page.

Q: Must I attend orientation?
A: Yes, you must join both the online and in-person orientations.

Q: Is there a separate orientation for transfer students? 
A: No.


Vaccination protocol

Q: Must all students be vaccinated?
A: Yes. Vaccinations are required for all faculty, staff and students.

Q: Proof of vaccination was due Aug. 1, but I haven’t submitted it yet. May I still?
A: A small number of students have yet to provide proof of vaccination, medical or religious exemption or to request a vaccination upon arrival. Norwich University is emailing, texting and telephoning these students to facilitate their return to campus. 

Please note: Students who arrive on campus without proof of vaccination or a medical or religious exemption will be allowed to request a vaccination and a medical or religious exemption upon arrival. 

However, these students will not be allowed on campus, to live in the residence halls or to attend in-person classes until they agree to vaccinate or have their medical or religious exemption approved.  

Q: I couldn’t schedule a vaccination before my Norwich University arrival. May I get a vaccination on campus?
A: Yes. COVID-19 vaccinations will be available at no cost to let people who weren’t fully vaccinated to begin vaccinating immediately on arrival. 

COVID-19 arrival testing

Q: Will students be tested for COVID-19 when they arrive on campus?
Norwich University remains fully committed to in-person learning, full athletics participation, robust student life and full training for the Corps of Cadets. We’re also mindful of the national and global rise in Delta variant-linked COVID-19-positive cases.

To ensure we can deliver these experiences, Norwich University has decided to test students for COVID-19 on day zero (arrival) and day seven. This screening will help protect the local environment for our students, faculty, staff and local community.

Q: Should students get polymerase chain reaction, aka PCR, tests before arriving on campus?
A: For your convenience and safety, we are recommending students take PCR tests within 72 hours of arriving on campus. Students who arrive with and present a negative PCR test result will receive $10 in CadetCa$h and will be entered into a drawing for a PlayStation 5.  

Q: What should I do if my PCR test is positive?
A: If your prearrival test result is positive, you must delay arrival until you have isolated for 10 days and email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to coordinate your new arrival date. If the delay causes you to miss in-person classes, your Dean’s Office will work with you to address all coursework needs.   

Mask policy

Q: Will I need to wear a face mask on campus?
A: Masking policies may evolve as Vermont Health Department and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance is published. Our intent is to limit restrictions and to have a vibrant campus experience. As with last year, Norwich may be required to follow updated guidelines. Therefore, students should be prepared to wear face masks in certain indoor settings. 

Q: Will masks be required indoors?
A: Effective immediately, masks are required indoors in all Norwich University facilities. This includes all classrooms and other instructional spaces. The only exception to wearing a mask indoors is while in an individual dorm room with roommate(s).  

Q: Will masks be required outdoors?
A: For now, masks are not required outdoors. However, they may be mandated by coaches, Commandant’s Office or student affairs staff or other staff member or faculty supervising an activity based on individual risk assessment. 

Q: Will these guidelines change?
A: For now, the above guidelines are recommendations, which we review several times weekly with our public health and medical professionals. We will continue to review local, state, and federal guidelines and adjust accordingly.

Q: Should students bring their own face masks?
A: To ensure maximum flexibility to respond to evolving requirements, we will, as in the spring, again provide face masks to all students upon arrival. However, we also encourage students to bring their own face masks to campus and remind students in uniform that they’ll need black masks.

Fall sports protocols

Q: Will we have fall sports?
A:The majority of our fall athletes compete in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC), which will resume a full schedule of NCAA Division III competition this fall.

Q: What are the COVID-19 protocols for athletics?
A: Per GNAC rules (which are separate from Norwich University policies and may be more restrictive), fully vaccinated GNAC student-athletes, coaches and staff may participate in 2021 fall sports without restrictions.

As of this memorandum, all unvaccinated student-athletes, and those with a religious or medical exemption, will be allowed to participate in athletic competitions, practices and associated activities provided they wear a mask and submit to at least twice-weekly testing.

This accommodation is subject to change in accordance with athletic conference requirements and doesn’t guarantee full participation in athletics for the fall season’s duration. 

Q: Who will verify student-athletes’ vaccination status?
A: Each GNAC member institution must verify the vaccination status of its athletes, coaches and staff. Officials working conference competitions must provide proof of vaccination. 

Q: What if I participate in a non-GNAC sport?
A: Student-athletes and teams competing in our other athletic conferences — New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference, New England Hockey Conference, National Intercollegiate Rugby Association, New England Wrestling Association, men’s rugby — will follow the GNAC policy on vaccinations and testing policy until we’re advised otherwise by those respective conferences. 

Q: What are the spectator protocols?
A: Spectator attendance policies will take into account local, state and CDC guidelines.


During academic year 2020-21, Norwich University’s community came together as a singular, supportive team to learn on campus, connect and keep its COVID-19 infection rate one of the nation’s lowest. Our goal has been, and continues to be, to operate this academic year with as few restrictions as possible while providing a full campus experience, including in-person instruction.

We are fully committed to fighting for our students and their success and for the mental and physical health of our campus population and partner communities. 


Q: May families help rooks move into their barracks and may they stay afterward?
A: Yes. Families may help rooks move in as they did in prepandemic years. Parents my then attend the 1 p.m. Welcome Ceremony at 1 p.m. at Shaipro FIeldhouse. At the ceremony’s end, parents will have seven minutes to say goodbye. Then the rook expeirence will start.

Q: When will my rook know his or her company and platoon assignment?
A: Rooks will receive their company assignments only after arriving on campus to  their assigned barracks (dormitory) and meeting the staff company mentors and cadet leaders for those barracks.

Q: How do I decipher my rook’s unit designation (e.g., 21-4-2)?
A: Year-company-platoon. The first two digits are the enrollment year (’21). The regiment has five Cadet Training Companies (CTCs); the second digit will be a number from one to five corresponding to the rook’s assigned CTC (in this example, 21-4-2, the rook is assigned to CTC-4). There are three platoons per company; the third digit will be a number from one to three corresponding to the rook’s assigned platoon (in this example, the rook is assigned to 2nd platoon in CTC-4).

Q: When will my rook know his or her assigned roommate(s)?
A: They will first meet on the afternoon of the day your rook and his or her roommate(s) arrive on campus.

Q: What physical fitness test will my rook be required to pass?
A: The Norwich Corps of Cadets follows the U.S. Army field manual for physical readiness training and fitness testing. Therefore, your rook must be prepared to pass the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) annually, which consists of two minutes of pushups and situps and a timed 2-mile run. The test is age- and gender-normed.

Q: Who are company mentors?
A: Company mentors are former military members of the commandant’s staff who are assigned to supervise a Corps of Cadets cadet company. Mentors provide individual oversight, coaching, mentoring and counseling to the cadet leaders, cadets and rooks in the company. Company mentors have an office in the same barracks as the cadets in their company to enable an enduring presence. Company mentors report to an assistant commandant who has supervisory responsibility for one of the Corps’ three battalions. You will learn who your rook’s company mentor is on arrival day or by contacting the Commandant’s Office.

Q: What is the cadet chain of command?
A: The chain of command is the hierarchy of cadet leaders who have supervisory authority over your rook’s unit. Rooks will meet and become familiar with these leaders during their orientation to the military lifestyle. Besides the cadet chain of command, the Commandant’s Office staff is always available to help parents and rooks. Contact us at (802) 485-2135 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Q: As the world emerges from the coronavirus pandemic, how is Norwich transitioning its approach to on-campus student life, Corps of Cadets training, and the rook year experience?
A: Norwich University is preparing to ensure the successful resumption of full, in-person campus services, student life experiences and Corps training to include the rook year. To enable this experience, Norwich has joined the growing number of higher-education institutions requiring all people on campus to be fully vaccinated.

All new and returning students, faculty and staff on campus in the fall will be required to confirm their vaccination status. In the coming weeks, the university will distribute additional communications on special accommodations such as medical or religious exemptions, guidelines for people who have tested positive for COVID-19 and students originating from locations where COVID-19 vaccines are unavailable.


Q: Where can my rook purchase the prescribed military shoes?
A: Visit: https://www.norwich.edu/uniform-store/ or contact our Cadet Uniform Store at (802) 485-2206 / This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Q: How should your rook break in his or her military shoes or combat boots?
A: Simply wear a pair of socks and your shoes or boots around the house or in the yard for several hours over the summer. But do not wear your boots in the shower or submerge them in water to break them in.

Q: My rook is in the federal Reserves or National Guard. May he or she wear military-issued uniform items?
A. No. Rooks must wear the cadet uniform of the day as prescribed in the Norwich University Corps of Cadets Standing :perating Procedures.

Q: How much cash will a rook need?
A: Rooks may use their CadetCa$h debit card for laundry and postage. Some cash may be needed for other small incidentals; $50, at any one time, should suffice. Books and supplies from the bookstore may be purchased with CadetCa$h card, personal check or credit/debit card. Money, credit/debit cards, and valuables need to be secured always. An ATM is available in the Wise Campus Center. For more information, call the Cadet Card Office at 802-485-2840 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Q: My rook needs more money for books and school supplies. How do we get the money to him or her?
A: If you established a CadetCa$h account, you could add to the balance by check, credit card (online or in-person), or cash. The Bursar’s Office is also a good source for financial assistance or information at (802) 485-2055 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Rook room policies

Q: My rook has physician-prescribed medications. Can those medications be kept in his or her room and self-administered?
A: Yes and yes. The prescription information must be provided to the medical staff at the university’s infirmary at (802) 485-2552 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. The infirmary is supported by the Green Mountain Family Practice at the base of the Shaw Recreation Center. For prescriptions requiring refrigeration, rooks may bring a small dorm-size refrigerator, but must contact the Commandant’s Office for approval.

Q: May rooks have food (e.g., candy or snacks) in their rooms?
A: Rooks may keep a small amount of nonperishable food in their rooms in a plastic, shoebox-sized, sealed container. We recommend nutritious snacks such as Power Bars or granola bars and items that don’t require refrigeration.

Rook leave policy and departure

Q: What is the weekend general leave policy for rooks?
A: Rooks are not allowed overnight passes or regular leave except on scheduled university holidays and Parent & Family Weekend. Emergency leave can be approved by the rook’s company mentor, assistant commandant or vice commandant. Leave requests for special occasions such as weddings and family reunions will be considered.

Q: May my rook attend off-campus religious services? And if so, is transportation provided?
A: Yes and yes. The place of worship is contacted and the religious leader, staff, or congregation is queried to determine who is available to provide rides. If a particular denomination does not provide transportation, a rook may ride with another student going to the same church, synagogue or mosque after gaining the university chaplain or company mentor approval. In certain circumstances, the university help arrange transportation for faith groups. For additional information, please contact University Chaplain William Wick at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or (802) 485-2128.

Q: May a rook keep a vehicle on campus, and whom would they contact if a vehicle is required to attend military drill?
A: Rooks may not keep a vehicle on campus except in cases in which one is required to meet a military obligation, such as a weekend drill with a Reserve or National Guard unit. Your rook’s assistant commandant is the approval authority for an exception. Rooks approved to keep a vehicle on campus must apply for and pay the fee for a parking permit through NU Public Safety.


Welcome, Norwich University families!

Welcome to Norwich’s extended family, which numbers 40,000 people living domestically and abroad. If you’re new to Norwich, here are some resources to help you and your student navigate your Norwich journey. 

Mentor families — Contact seasoned families whose student is or was a Norwich student. They've been where you are and understand the questions or concerns you may have.

Student sendoffs and Family Weekend
 — These are events not to be missed. If you're new to Norwich, attend a summer student sendoff and meet other local families near your hometown. Family Weekend is your chance to experience life back "on the Hill" during the fall.

Where to stay when visiting — Our area accommodations pages lists everything from hotels to campgrounds.

Whom to contact — Have questions about housing, financial aid and more? Visit our University contacts page for a list of Norwich University departments.

Here are some frequently asked questions with answers.

Q: When my child was in high school, I could access grades and other educational records. Does this process hold at Norwich University?
A: The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA policy) places the student as the educational owner once enrolled in college. Therefore, all communication is directed to students. Students have 24/7 access to a records portal where they can communicate with a third party about grades, course schedule, degree progression and the like.

Q: Should I call Norwich University when I have questions about my student’s educational record?
A: Students are encouraged to investigate their accounts; academic advisers can direct students to the optimal office or official to answer questions. Parents who contact Norwich University offices will be told the resource students should contact to resolve questions. Under FERPA, students’ educational records be neither confirmed nor denied to third parties.

Q: My student wishes that I receive personally identifiable information (PII) or information protected under FERPA. What is the next step?
A: Only students can direct Norwich University to provide PII or protected personally identifiable information through a PII release. Students have access to PII releases, PII director block or PII directly block rescind on the registrar’s Sharepoint site, available through the MyApps, my.norwich landing page.

Q: My student provided me a code within the BannerWeb portal to discuss personal information. Why does my student need to complete this request?
A: The code is most often used during more informal conversations and lets personnel know students have provided acknowledgment to discuss information. However, many questions asked of university personnel are very specific. So, to ensure FERPA compliance, the PII release must authorize discussion of specific items or issues. University personnel want to avoid arbitrating parent-student differences and prefer that students communicate with parents. University personnel can, however, offer clarification when uncertainty arise.

Q: May I schedule a tour of campus and see the barracks or dormitory rooms?
A: Yes. The Admissions Office will coordinate this. Email  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to make this request.

Q: Is campus safe?
A: The Department of Public Safety uses a community policing model to support our university’s vision, mission and Guiding Values. Norwich University’s Department of Public Safety provides a 24-hour physical security presence 365 days a year.

Q: When is the first day of classes?
A: Fall semester classes start Aug. 30. The last day to add classes is Aug. 13; the last day to drop classes is Aug. 29. The academic calendar lists these and other important dates.

Q: When is convocation?
A: Aug. 31.

Q: When is President Dr. Mark Anarumo’s inauguration?
A: Sept. 21 to Sept. 22.

Q: When is Family Weekend?
A: Oct. 8 to Oct. 10.

Q: Will Legacy Pinning happen during Family Weekend?
A: Yes. Students may be pinned by siblings, parents or whomever they wish.

Q: When is homecoming?
A: Sept. 23 to Sept. 26. 

Q: When is the Regimental Ball and may students bring dates?
A: The Regimental Bal is Oct. 30. Yes, guests may be invited to attend. Guidance will be published for off-campus guests attending, lodging, and rules.

Q: When does the fall semester end and intersemester recess start?
A: The fall semester’s last day is Dec. 19, 2021; the spring semester starts Jan. 11, 2022.


Student support

Because our students are our highest priority, Norwich University has a host of resources to help them succeed academically and emotionally.

Q: If students need emotional support, where can they go on campus?
A: Our Counseling and Wellness Center provides safe, confidential individualized care and support Norwich University’s students, funded through the University Health Services Fee. There are no additional charges for services.

Q: If students use the Counseling and Wellness Center, do their files become part of their medical or military records?
A: No. We safeguard these files vigilantly. They will remain confidential.

Q: How does Norwich support academic success?
A: The Academic Achievement Center is Norwich University's essential resource for enhancing student learning, promoting student success, supporting faculty-student engagement and improving retention and graduation rates. Our professional staff, student tutors and mentors help students develop appropriate college-level study skills, master challenging course content and become lifelong learners. Our interconnected service programs include study skills, content-area, multilngual and peer tutoring; the Corps/Civilian Academic Mentoring Program; workshops; class presentations​ and test proctoring for students with accommodations.


Q: May first-year students apply for an on-campus parking pass and how much does it cost?
A: The parking pass application is coordinated through the Public Safety Office, the Commandant’s Office and Student Life and costs $400 for the year. Civilian students should email Greg McGrath at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.; Corps students should email William Passalacqua at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. will questions.

Clothing and uniforms

Q: What does laundry cost? Do you recommend the laundry service for civilians?
A: Laundry costs $2 for each washer and dryer load.  Students will generally wash two loads of laundry per week. Laundry service can be beneficial for those who desire it.

Q: If members of the Corps of Cadets needs a uniform altered will the Uniform Store help?
A: Yes. The Uniform Store will help with alterations, but please understand there will be many requests and you’ll need to be patient.

Q: I’m a returning student in the Corps of Cadets and was told to turn in my dress blues and gray tunic when last semester ended. Will they be reissued?
A: Yes. The Uniform Store has been updating ranks for student officers who were promoted and will reissue these garments. 


Norwich University offers a wide array of healthy foods through its dining contractor, Sodexo, and other options. 

Q: How do I sign up for a meal plan?
A:  Sodexo, Norwich University’s dining partner, offers a variety of meal plans for the Wise Campus Center dining hall and a Bite smartphone app for ordering food at the Mill. Sodexo offers a dining tour by video. Sodexo’s staff will also field questions.

Q: If I’m hungry outside mealtimes, what are my options?
A: Besides the Wise Campus Center dining hall, Norwich University offers hot food and snacks at The Mill and coffee and snacks at a full-service Dunkin’ Donuts.

Q: Does Norwich University expect the sort of postpandemic staffing shortages that have beset other service industries, in the dining hall, for example?
A: No. Sodexo is fully staffed on campus staff and ready to serve students.

Q: Will there be set mealtimes for returning students?
A: No. However there will be coordinated evening meals for rook units.


Q: I’m a new first-year student. Will I get a mailbox?
A: Yes. All new first-year students will get a mailbox and a key. Please retrieve the key on arrival day and handle it carefully. If you lose it, a replacement will cost you $35.

Q: Should students have their mailbox numbers on incoming packages?
A: We suggested having your mailbox number on incoming packages, but it’s not required.

Q: When will student mail delivery start for the Fall 2021 semester?
A: Students may order packages and have mail starting Aug. 15.

Q: What postal address will students use?
Student name
Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive
Student Box Number
Northfield, VT 05663

Q: To whom do I send mailroom questions?
A: Email the mailroom or call 802-485-2205.


Norwich University’s bookstore in your hub for getting textbooks for your courses, university-logo clothes and souvenirs and personal sundries.


Q: Does Norwich provide transportation for students to or from the Burlington International Airport or to the bus or train terminals in Montpelier, Vermont?
A: No. Vermont Ride Network, formerly Green Cab VT, is a local taxi service at www.greencabvt.com or (802) 864-2424. Vermont Tour and Charter provides shuttle service for a fee at www.vermonttourandcharter.com/norwich. Dartmouth Coach includes shuttle service to Boston and New York City airports at https://dartmouthcoach.com/.


Norwich University has a rich campus life beyond academics with dozens of clubs and ways to volunteer. Click to learn more.

Q: What sorts of clubs does Norwich University have?
A. We have dozens. To name a few, students interested in the performing arts, for example, can join the Pegasus Players; U.S. Air Force ROTC students interested in honing their professionalism can join the Arnold Air Society. Students interested in journalism can write for the Guidon student newspaper. We also have many academic honor societies tied to majors and intramural and club sports.

Q: Are there informal student events, too?
A: Yes. Many. Our Campus Activities Board stages movie nights, sledding excursions and more. Our master events calendar events.norwich.edu lists these and other activities every week.

Q: Can students volunteer?
A: Yes. Our Center for Civic Engagement offers many ways to serve communities that need help — the elderly, at-risk youth, the homeless, the hungry, the differently abled and economically disadvantaged — often through partnerships with nonprofit organizations.

Q: Can students get work-study jobs? Does being in the Corps of Cadets prohibit this?
A: All students, including those in the Corps, can get work-study jobs. Our student handbook includes guidelines for work-study jobs through the federal work-study program.

Student Rules and Regulations 2020-2021 (PDF 2.4MB)

Civilian Residential Student Guidebook (PDF 1MB)

Cadet Handbook (PDF)

Norwich University admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.

Norwich University collects personal data about visitors to our website in order to improve the user experience and provide visitors with personalized information about our programs and services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you accept the information policies and practices outlined in our Privacy Policy.