High school students looking for an academic challenge. Adult learners looking to continue a life-long pursuit of knowledge, but not interested in earning a degree. Professionals needing to finish of a few pre-requisites before beginning a Master’s degree program. There are many reasons why you may want to take classes from Norwich, but not enroll in a degree granting program. Don’t worry – we can help you get the courses and credits you need.
Non-degree Seeking Students at Norwich University
Non-degree seeking students, also known as non-matriculating students, are those students who want to take courses at Norwich, but are not currently seeking a degree from us. This includes Norwich faculty, staff and their immediate family members using the tuition benefit to take some classes, but who are not seeking admission to a degree program. Credits earned by non-degree seeking students will be reflected on the student’s permanent NU transcript
Vermont High School Students
If you are a high school student in the state of Vermont and are interested in taking classes at Norwich prior to graduating from high school, you may be eligible for the Flexible Pathways Program. For more information, visit our Flexible Pathways web page prior to applying as a non-degree seeking student.
Deadline: Rolling Admissions
- 2.0 High School GPA (high school transcript required) or
- Previously earned quality points from a college-level course (college transcript required)
- Tuition fees are calculated on the number of credits a student takes. A schedule of fees is available on the Bursar’s page.
- Degree seeking students will have priority registration over non-degree seeking students.
- Non-degree seeking students must meet course prerequisites to attend. Placement examinations may be required.
- To become a degree seeking student, students MUST apply to Norwich for admission into the degree-granting program.
How to Apply
Prior Attendees: Students who have previously attended on-campus courses at Norwich, complete the Registration Form available from the Registrar’s Office here:
Non-Prior Attendees: Students who have not previously attended on-campus courses at Norwich:
- Apply Here
- Select the Degree Category “Non-Degree Seeking”
- Select the appropriate Admissions Category: Dual Enrollment, Early College or Non-Degree Seeking. Definitions of and information for Dual Enrollment and Early College students is found here.
- In the Academic Major field, select the academic field that you are most interested in studying. Note that as a non-degree seeking student, you will not be admitted directly into a degree program: this field serves to only inform us what your primary academic interest is.
- Select the appropriate Entry Term (i.e. "Fall 2021")
- In the Lifestyle field, select Civilian Commuter or Civilian Residential. Non-degree seeking students cannot join the Corps of Cadets.
- Provide copies of high school or college transcripts
- Provide a statement addressing why you want to take courses at Norwich
- If you are a High School student seeking to take classes at Norwich but are NOT enrolling through Flexible Pathways, you will also need to:
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a School Counselor
- Submit the Principal Authorization form