Admissions checklist

International Students

Students from another country who intend to come to Norwich have some additional paperwork and processes that need to be completed. These include:

Paperwork and Processes

  • Norwich University application: Please use your name as it appears on a passport.
  • Official transcripts of previous academic work: Applicants must have completed 12 years of education prior to enrollment. If a transcript is not in English, it must include a translation and explanation of the grading system. English-language courses are not transferable, as they are not offered at university-level in the U.S.
  • English proficiency test: These include the TOEFL (minimum of 500 paper version, 79 online version), IELTS (minimum score of 6.5), SAT 1 (score reviewed by admissions committee) and ACT (score reviewed by admissions committee).
  • Personal essays and letters of recommendation are optional.

Merit scholarships

International students who submit SAT or ACT scores will be considered for merit-based scholarships if accepted.

Financial aid

To be considered for financial assistance, international students must submit the International Aid Application (PDF), and the SAT or ACT scores, directly to Norwich. A limited amount of aid is available from the University for international students.

Certification of Student Finances (Form I-20)

International students must submit evidence of their ability to cover costs while attending Norwich. This is a condition of being issued the proper documents from F-1 immigration status, as specified in U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations.

Form I-20

An accepted international student who wishes to attend Norwich must present Form I-20 to the American consulate or embassy in their country of origin in order to obtain an F-1 student visa. The I-20 will be issued to the student after their Certification of Student Finances (PDF) has been reviewed and he or she has submitted a $250 deposit.


A visa is required to enter the United States and most international students enter the country on an F-1 student visa. F-1 visas are nonimmigrant visas granted to applicants who want to pursue a full course of academic study at a U.S. university. Some students may be required to hold a J-1 student visa by their sponsoring agency.

Health Insurance

Norwich requires that all international students on nonimmigrant visas have adequate medical insurance during all periods of enrollment. Students may choose the University’s student health insurance plan or comparable plan.
About undergraduate health insurance

Connect with us

Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663 USA
802.485.2000 | 1.800.468.6679
Copyright © 2014 Norwich University - all rights reserved