WHAT TO WEAR UPON ARRIVAL
Rooks must arrive on Rook Arrival day wearing the following items:
- Khaki pants, tan (chino-style)
- Belt, conservative, plain buckle
- White crew neck short sleeve t-shirt (no pockets)
- White, short sleeved dress shirt, plain without pattern
- Athletic footwear (sneakers) with crew length white socks
Note: Rooks authorized to arrive before Rook arrival day may arrive in appropriate civilian attire, but will need the above items to wear on Rook arrival day.
WHAT TO BRING UPON ARRIVAL
Rooks must have the following items upon arrival on Rook Arrival day:
- 1 pair tan military-style, laced up combat boots*
- 1 pair black military-style dress shoes *
- Be sure to break in the shoes and boots over the summer!
- Do not submerse the combat boots in water to break them in.
- 10 white crew-neck T-shirts (no V neck or pockets)
- 10 pair black dress socks
- 2 pair dark color boot socks
- 10 pair all black athletic socks (crew length with no logo above the heel)
- 3 black/white sports briefs or compression shorts (logo on waistband is fine)
- 10 pair white briefs or boxers (white with logo on waistband is fine)
- 10 white or beige bras/sports bras (logo appearing is fine)
- 10 pair white or beige underwear (white with logo on band is fine)
- Barrettes/elastics to match to hair color; no fabric or scrunchies
- Bobby pins - required only if hair is below collar length
- Hair spray or gel (example: L.A. Looks Sport Gel)
- 1 sports bathing suit, one-piece, navy or black color (acceptable with conservative accent stripes)
- For males: sport coat, dress shirt, tie, dress pants, dress belt, civilian dress shoes.
- For females: business suit, appropriate blouse, skirt/conservative stockings or slacks, civilian dress shoes.
- Norwich computer account name and password information
- FASFA pin number (as applicable)
- Prescribed medicines as annotated on required medical form by Admissions
- Prescribed eyeglasses and/or contact lenses and solutions
- Toiletry items (deodorant, soap/shampoo, tooth brush/paste, shaving cream/razor plain/electric, tissue packs, etc.)
- Hangers, 25 minimum – Plastic (black or white) or wooden
- Shoe polishing kit for Rooks who desire leather shoes requiring polish (black polish, cotton balls, shoe brush, cloth). Kit available at the Cadet Uniform Store.
- Laundry soap, static cling sheets
- Sewing kit and scissors
- 1 table alarm clock (no clock radios)
- All purpose cleaner
- School supplies (paper, scissors, stapler, tape, ruler, paperclips, folders, etc.)
- Ball point pens (black ink)
- Black fine point permanent marker (Sharpie brand ideal)
- 5 dry-erase markers (black only, fine point)
- Thumb/Flash drive
- Masking tape, easy peal type (3/4 inch)
- Surge Protector - 3 Prong-UL listed
- Briefcase/ attaché-style book bag, canvas or vinyl, black in color, conservative (Also available at Uniform Store)
- Cleaning rags
- Spray bottle
- 1 wristwatch (inexpensive, conservative color required; water resistant recommended)
- 1 iron
- 1 ironing board, floor model
- Broom and dust pan
- Tan boot cleaning kit
- 1 pillow, standard size (1 provided with linen service.)
- 4 white sheets, twin size, standard, flat not fitted (4 provided with linen service)
- 2 white pillowcases (2 provided with linen service)
- 4 white towels, bath size (6 provided with linen service)
- 5 white washcloths (NONE provided with linen service)
- Proof of Identification (See information below)
- Cell phone - for travel purposes to/from campus and weekly phone calls. However, cell phone use is restricted during the Rook training period.
- Desktop or laptop computer - visit the Computer Services page for information
- Ethernet Cord (minimum 5 ft., no longer than 20 ft.)
- Scientific Calculator
- Desk lamp
- 3x5 Index Cards, lined
- Clear, 8x11 inch, sheet protectors (minimum 1 dozen)
- Manicure kit/nail clippers
- Multi-purpose tool (knife blade may next exceed 3 inches)
- Extra pair of running shoes
- Sports equipment for varsity/club sports
- Rooks serving in the National Guard or Reserves may bring equipment and uniforms required for weekend drill
- Limited cash with access to a debit account. ATM available in the Wise Campus Center.
- Quarters for laundry or money on the Cadet Cash Card ($1.75 for each wash and dry cycle). Change machine available in the Wise Campus Center.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Civilian clothing (except what is required)
- Computer games
- Desk blotters
- Electrical devices or cooking appliances
- Food, candy, gum (Care packages, shoe box size, with healthy items, are allowed after Rook Week)
- Expensive items
- Illegal drugs or steroids
- Music CDs
- Stereos, CD players, iPods, GoPro
- Plastic shelves/crates, posters, framed pictures
- Rugs or doormats
- Live or stuffed animals
- Tobacco products of any kind, to include e-cigarettes or similar devices
- Knives (with blade no greater than 3 inches)
- Rook Book
- Rook Cap
- Trash Can
- Hydration System
- Cleaning Kit
- Gold Blanket
- Maroon Blanket
- Leather Belt
- Brass Buckle
- Rigger Belt
- Reflective Belt
- NU Uniform Insignia
- White Name Tag
- ACU Name Tapes
- Boot Bands
- Shirt Stays
- Shower Shoes
- ACU Shirts
- ACU Trousers
- ACU T-Shirts
- Running Suit
- PT T-Shirts
- PT Running Shorts
- S/S White Shirts
- Garrison Cap
- White Service Cover
- Gray Service Cover
- ACU Cover
- Cadet Windbreaker
- Gray Trousers
- Black Rain Jacket
- Black Gloves w/Liner
- Laundry Bag
- White Trousers
- Fleece Jacket
- White Suspenders
- Long Sleeve / Short Sleeve Black Shirts
- White Gloves
* Related Article: Rooks: What to Bring
If you already own a set of business attire bring it. Rooks who intend to play varsity athletics and make the travel team are required to wear business attire for away competitions. Some professors require business attire for presentations or class trips; however, it’s not necessary to purchase business attire for arrival day. Rooks will be notified in class by their professor with sufficient time to acquire such.
The following items are required upon arrival to campus:
Required and available for purchase at the University Bookstore:
Required and available for purchase after arrival at the Uniform Store:
We recommend freshmen use the basic University linen service; however, if you are NOT planning to use the linen service, you will need to bring:
RECOMMENDED PROOF OF IDENTIFICATION
All Rooks will receive a photo ID during Rook Arrival Day in-processing. A second form of photo ID is recommended.
At a minimum, all ROTC branches will need an original/certified Certificate of Birth and original Social Security Card or proof of citizenship. Copies of these documents will be made and originals returned to the individual. Specific ROTC branches will contact students prior to arrival if more information is needed. For questions, contact appropriate ROTC office: Army 802-485-2480, Air Force 802-485-2460, Naval 802-485-2185.
Individuals hired for employment by Norwich as work study or non-work study, applicants must have a current U.S. Passport /Passport Card OR a NU Student ID/Driver’s License and one of these originals: Social Security Card/Certificate of Birth/U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197). For questions contact Human Resources Office at 802-485-2075.
Passports are not required, but Rooks interested in travelling abroad for service learning or possible military training opportunities, will need a passport. Rooks are not authorized to study abroad during their Rook year, but are encouraged to do so as an upperclassman. Some varsity team will travel to Canada and Rook athletes selected to travel will need a U.S. Passport or state issued enhanced drivers license.
BUS, TRAIN, & AIRPORT TRANSPORTATION
During extended breaks, Norwich does NOT provide free transportation to and from the Burlington International Airport or to the bus or train terminals in Montpelier, VT. Capital Cab & Car Service is one taxi resource via www.CapitalCabVT.com or 802.505.0316. Shuttle service for transportation is available for a fee via www.vermonttourandcharter.com/norwich. There is NO transportation to Boston, MA or Manchester, NH Airports. The Dartmouth Coach is a resource to Boston and NYC airports via www.dartmouthcoach.com.
ROOKS WHAT NOT TO BRING!
WHAT NOT TO BRING
The following items Rooks ARE NOT allowed to bring upon arrival:
Office of the Commandant
Monday – Friday
Computer Services Helpdesk
Monday – Friday
Cadet Uniform Store
Monday – Friday
0800-1300 & 1400-1600
Monday – Friday (Summer)
CADET UNIFORMS & EQUIPMENT ISSUED TO ROOKS
Rooks will be issued the following uniforms and equipment upon arrival, during Rook week and during the fall semester:
Issued in their Rook Kit upon arrival:
Issued during Rook week:
Issued during the fall semester:
NOTE: All Rook issue items may not be available for immediate distribution.
Cadet Uniform Policy
The Cadet Uniform Fee for incoming Rooks in 2018 will be $2,235.00.
If a student leaves the Corps of Cadets (either to leave Norwich University or transfer to the civilian lifestyle) he or she is still responsible for meeting this uniform fee obligation.
The Uniform Store will give a student full credit for items not yet issued. However, no credit will be given for any items special ordered for the cadet (for example-name tags, tapes) or items of a personal nature (for example- bathrobe, shower shoes, blankets).Any items that have been issued to the cadet may be considered for a partial credit from the uniform store. Rebates on these items are up to the discretion of the Uniform Store Manager.
The tunic and coatee pieces of the uniform are property of the University and must be returned to the Cadet Uniform Store when a Cadet leaves the Corps, the University or graduates.
Should the cadet withdraw from the Corps of Cadets or require a transcript, the full cost of the uniform, to include both the billed cost and the remaining unbilled cost of the uniform (less any approved refunds) will be applied to the student’s account and must be paid. There is an automatic hold on transcripts for any student whose student account is not paid in full.
Thank you in advance for your consideration with his matter.