Studying at Other U.S. Colleges and Universities

Where to Start

Before studying at another U.S. college or university it is important to have any classes you plan on taking pre-approved to ensure they will transfer back to Norwich.  There are two ways you can do this:

  • You can review the Transfer Guide to see how courses you may wish to take have transferred to Norwich in the past.
    • Be aware that while most transfer courses are still accepted as noted, there are exceptions.   Faculty may change course content over time, wherein the equivalency may no longer apply.
  • If a course is not listed on the Transfer Guide or you would like written confirmation that the course will transfer, you should get course descriptions for that course and complete the Transfer Credit Request Form.
    • Course descriptions are usually available on college/university websites, or in their catalogs.
    • There are instructions on the second page of the transfer credit request form.  Forms must be initialed by the department chair of all courses being reviewed, and the student and their advisor must sign the form
    • It should then be returned to the Registrar’s Office.

For questions on how to have courses at other schools pre-approved, contact or call (802)485-2035.

While You’re Away

  • Courses change. You may decided to add or drop classes once abroad, or your schedule may change based on placement tests. Make sure to keep us up to date about the courses you’re taking. If your schedule changes at all from the courses you had pre-approved, you should contact us immediately at (802)485-2035 or
  • Before you return make sure to request that a transcript be sent directly to our office. It is much easier to request a transcript while you are still at an institution than after you have returned.

When You Return

  • If any of the courses you took abroad were not pre-approved to transfer prior to leaving, be prepared to provide course materials (syllabus, exams, papers, notes) to our office to assist in your transfer evaluation. If you have questions about which courses you may need to provide course materials for please contact us at or (802) 485-2035.


Connect with us

Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663 USA
802.485.2000 | 1.800.468.6679
Copyright © 2018 Norwich University - all rights reserved