Frequently Asked Questions – Transfer Credit

Which of my courses will transfer to Norwich?

Credit will transfer only after you have been admitted as a matriculated degree student. For details on which types of courses/credit are eligible for transfer visit our Transferring to Norwich page.

Will my grades or GPA from my previous institution transfer to Norwich?

No. Only credit will transfer. Your GPA is calculated using only the grades you have received at Norwich.

How is credit awarded?

Norwich University uses the semester system. All academic course work accepted for transfer will be converted into semester hours of credit by our office.

I applied, was accepted, and attended Norwich some time ago but withdrew or was academically suspended. I now wish to return to the University. Should I apply through your office?

Former on-campus undergraduate students who wish to return to Norwich should complete the Readmission Application and submit it to the Registrar’s Office.

Former on-campus undergraduate students who were academically suspended and who wish to return to Norwich should complete the Academic Dismissal Readmission Application and submit it to the Registrar’s Office.

Limits on Transfer Credit at Norwich

There are limits on the number of credits transferred that may be applied to the degree program and major selected.

  • At least one-fourth of the required degree credits must be earned at Norwich.
  • No more than 40% of credits required in courses specified in the discipline of the major may be transfer credit.
  • No more than three of the six required courses specified in the discipline of the minor or concentration may be filled with transfer credit.

Please consult the online catalog for specific policies regarding transfer credit.

Credit is generally not granted for courses that:

  • were taken at colleges and universities that are not regionally accredited (or are candidates for accreditation)
  • are in disciplines that are not taught at Norwich
  • are pre-collegiate or remedial courses; e.g., reading improvement, english/math skills courses, developmental courses
  • appear on a transcript with no credit or grade assigned
  • Were graded less than a “C” on an A-F scale  (Note: For Nursing majors, some courses require a grade of “C+” or better to transfer towards that major)

Connect with us

Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663 USA
802.485.2000 | 1.800.468.6679
Copyright © 2018 Norwich University - all rights reserved