Norwich University is a diversified academic institution that educates residential students, leading both military and civilian lifestyles, and working adults across the globe. Norwich offers a broad selection of traditional and distance-learning programs culminating in baccalaureate and master's degrees, and graduate certificates. Founded in 1819 by U.S. Army Capt. Alden Partridge, Norwich is the oldest private military college in the country and the birthplace of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC).
Along with specific items listed under each job posting’s “To apply” heading, you will need to complete and submit a Norwich University Employment Application.
Heating & Biomass Plant Supervisor
Seeking experienced individual to operate, maintain, and manage Norwich’s central heating plant/biomass systems and equipment. This individual will oversee the operations of boilers and auxiliary equipment for generation of 25 psi to 125 psi steam, as well as steam-driven turbines and auxiliary equipment for 480 volt, 3 phase power generation.
• Cross-train in other mechanical/electrical trade shops and support other Facilities Operations department needs.
• Responsible for assigning work duties to Heating Plant Operators, orienting staff to new or revised procedures and equipment, assisting with performance evaluations and reporting performance related and other problems to the Utility Supervisor.
• Collects plant process data and logs throughout shift.
• Performs maintenance on equipment as required.
• Performs standard tests on water and steam condensate and chemically treats as needed.
• Receives # 2 oil and wood chip deliveries at heating plant.
• Follows procedures and safety rules as required. Implements lockout/tag-out and confined entry policies to comply with O.S.H.A. regulation.
• Minimum 5 years experience required in boiler operation of 125 psi steam and turbine generator operation.
• Knowledge of steam generation and distribution systems. Knowledge of electrical generator and distribution systems preferred. Basic math skills required. Proper cleaning, maintenance and inspection of boiler steam drums and fireside. Trouble shooting and maintenance skills for heating plant electrical, steam, condensate, oil, feed water, air systems and equipment.
• Must be physically able to lift 30-40 lbs. frequently and up to 80 lbs. occasionally. Must be able to push and pull up to 50 lbs. frequently. Requires long periods of time standing and frequent walking. Requires frequent bending and squatting. Driver’s license required. Must be able to regularly perform physical tasks (i.e. shoveling wood chip). Ability to operate “Bobcat”- type equipment. Must shovel snow during winter season. Ability to work Saturdays and Sundays as part of regular weekly shift. Must be willing to work overtime. Good attendance is required.
• Must have strong knowledge of thermodynamics, including but not limited to steam properties, steam system sizing, steam maintenance and steam measurement.
• Must have strong knowledge of hydraulics to include but limited to pump designs, load curves, sizing, installation, maintenance of feed water system, fuel system, condensate pumps and waste water system
• Must have mechanical knowledge of variable frequency drive (VFD) and drive system, bearings and all the parts related to boiler plant operation, including trouble shooting and repairing motors, gear boxes and fans.
• Ability to repair electrical systems which may include control system both DDC and hard wired, generator and control/safety system interfaced with boilers and fuel delivery system.
• Ability to understand wiring diagram and blue print.
• Must be flexible with work schedule. Plant operates 24/7/365. Weekends and holidays are included in work schedule.
• Must demonstrate initiative in heating plant operator training program, and pass all health and wellness standards.
• Must know procedure for ordering # 2 oil and maintaining tank levels.
• Must know procedure for ordering wood chips and maintaining inventory.
• Must know spill prevention, control, and countermeasure process for heating plant.
• Work cooperatively with others and accepts direction from supervisors.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and Norwich application to Heating Plant Search, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. A post offer, pre-employment screening is required.
Aug. 28, 2013
Norwich University is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental, group life and long term disability insurance, flexible-spending accounts for health and dependant care, a retirement annuity plan and tuition scholarships for eligible employees and their family members.
Norwich University participates in E-Verify. (Español)