Norwich University is a diversified academic institution that educates residential students, leading both military and civilian lifestyles, and working adults across the globe. Norwich offers a broad selection of traditional and distance-learning programs culminating in baccalaureate and master's degrees, and graduate certificates. Founded in 1819 by U.S. Army Capt. Alden Partridge, Norwich is the oldest private military college in the country and the birthplace of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC).
Along with specific items listed under each job posting’s “To apply” heading, you will need to complete and submit a Norwich University Employment Application.
Museum Registrar - Sullivan Museum & History Center
Experienced museum professional desired for history museum at Norwich University in Northfield, VT. Duties include
• Overseeing the management, preservation and exhibition of the museum collection
• Plan and execute collections inventory.
• Implement collections policies and procedures, including pest management and emergency response plans
• Create and maintain all collections documentation and files, including incoming and outgoing temporary receipts, loan agreements, deeds of gift, and de-accession forms
• Establish conservation priorities and work with professional conservators to carry out conservation projects
• Organize and maintain museum collections storage area and collection supplies to the stands of museum best practices
• Monitor environmental conditions of the museum facility and review borrowers’ facilities reports
• Ensure safety and security of museum objects, including the permanent collection, loaned objects and temporary exhibitions
• Correspond with donors, lenders and vendors
• Determine and coordinate methods of packing and shipping for incoming loans and new acquisitions. Serve as courier as needed
• Coordinate the unpacking, packing and condition reporting, including digital photography of all new accessions
• Assign loan and accession numbers and determine appropriate methods of applying accession numbers to objects
• Respond to collection inquiries and prove access to collections for students, faculty, staff, administrators, departments and researchers
• Input information about incoming loans, new acquisitions and accessions in collections management system (Past Perfect)
• Process requests for rights and reproduction
• Interact with other Museum staff, donors, lenders and vendors.
• Actively engage with the University opportunities for continuing education and advancement
Graduate Degree in Museum Studies, Art History, History or related field and 3 years experience in collections management or Bachelors Degree in Art History, History or related field with 3-5 years experience in collections management. In addition, the Museum Registrar must possess strong skills in time management, organization of multiple projects, computer skills, planning, problem solving, verbal and written communication, research, customer service. We seek a detail oriented individual who has a sense of humor, able to manage multiple priorities, and works well individually and as part of the overall museum team.
The Sullivan Museum and History Center seeks to be a lively, compelling and anchoring presence in the Norwich University co0mmunity; to serve as a dynamic learning resource; to improve cultural and educational opportunities; to enhance Norwich’s reputation as a unique institution of higher education; to promote Norwich University and the Norwich experience; and to demonstrate who we are in the present through interaction with our past, our community, our beliefs, and the vision that we hold for the future. The museum fulfills its mission through the exhibition, preservation and interpretation of its collection of over 8,000 objects.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and Norwich University Employment Application to
Museum Registrar Search, via email: email@example.com.
Sep. 19, 2013
Norwich University is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental, group life and long term disability insurance, flexible-spending accounts for health and dependant care, a retirement annuity plan and tuition scholarships for eligible employees and their family members.
Norwich University participates in E-Verify. (Español)