Norwich University is a diversified academic institution that educates residential students, leading both military and civilian lifestyles, and working adults across the globe. Norwich offers a broad selection of traditional and distance-learning programs culminating in baccalaureate and master's degrees, and graduate certificates. Founded in 1819 by U.S. Army Capt. Alden Partridge, Norwich is the oldest private military college in the country and the birthplace of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC).
Along with specific items listed under each job posting’s “To apply” heading, you will need to complete and submit a Norwich University Employment Application.
Night Residence Life & Barracks Supervisor
Part Time Position @ 15 hours per week when NU is in Session
* Provide night / weekend monitoring and walking supervision of an array of 10 barracks and residence halls housing approximately 1800 students.
* Work with Corps of Cadets and Residence Life student leaders in providing a safe and respectful environment for cadets and students to thrive in our unique undergraduate paradigm.
* Monitor the performance of the Cadet Guard Staff and Res Life staff to act as role models for all.
* Enforce University regulations and policies. Assist cadet & student leaders in carrying out their responsibilities. Mentor cadet & student leaders to maintain good order and discipline.
* When incidents do occur, immediately respond to and manage the situation, return cadets and students to good order and discipline, and gather initial facts / statements.
* Work thee five hour shifts per week (2200 to 0300) commencing Thursday night, Friday night and Saturday night. Complete a duty log after each shift.
* Liaise with NU Security and the Student Affairs Duty Officer for mutual support and back up.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* During critical time periods the incumbent must be willing to work additional time as requested (e.g., final exams and Commencement time).
* Education and Training
o High School diploma is required; Associates Degree is preferred; additional college work is considered a plus.
o Specialized training, education and certification in one or more area below is required. Additional training / education / certification is considered a plus. The areas are: leadership, counseling, emergency response, law enforcement, military training, and security work.
o Veteran Status with Honorable discharge is considered a plus.
o Ability to prepare a daily log using standard office computer and word processing software.
* This is a Vermont State Militia uniformed position at the grade of Master Sergeant to distinguish this person to students and others on campus and as such, must adhere to the standards of the Norwich University Uniform policy.
* Demonstrated experience working with and mentoring college age students in a residential setting.
* Physical ability to walk and climb stairs throughout the shift to be able to monitor students. Ability to be outside during the cold weather as required by the job.
* Ability to engage and assess needs of students who find themselves in stressful circumstances.
* Demonstrated ability to work with and effectively communicate with an array of NU staff, faculty, and students, and local law enforcement and emergency response personnel.
* Valid Vermont Drivers License -.
* Able to pass a criminal record and driving background check.
Reporting: The incumbent will report directly to the Student Affairs Judicial Affairs Officer. The incumbent will daily debrief with the Student Affairs Duty Officer.
Salary and Benefits: This is a year to year contractual part time position with work during the times when students are in residence (approximately 34 weeks per year). This position does not offer benefits. The normal work cycle is late August thru the week before Thanksgiving; the week after Thanksgiving until school closes for the semester in mid December; the third week of January to spring break week (early March) and the week after spring break thru Commencement in mid – May.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and Norwich University Employment Application to
Night Residence Life & Barracks Supervisor Search, via email: email@example.com.
Feb. 15, 2012
Norwich University is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental, group life and long term disability insurance, flexible-spending accounts for health and dependant care, a retirement annuity plan and tuition scholarships for eligible employees and their family members.
Norwich University participates in E-Verify. (Español)