Norwich University is a diversified academic institution that educates residential students, leading both military and civilian lifestyles, and working adults across the globe. Norwich offers a broad selection of traditional and distance-learning programs culminating in baccalaureate and master's degrees, and graduate certificates. Founded in 1819 by U.S. Army Capt. Alden Partridge, Norwich is the oldest private military college in the country and the birthplace of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC).
Along with specific items listed under each job posting’s “To apply” heading, you will need to complete and submit a Norwich University Employment Application.
Senior Web Editor
The senior editor is responsible for overseeing creation and acquisition of content for Norwich University web properties, ensuring high-quality content that supports Norwich’s strategic goals and reflect its strengths and mission. This position ensures all norwich.edu content meets University standards and maintains a consistent tone and voice.
As part of this role, the senior editor cultivates productive relationships with key Norwich stakeholders – administrators, faculty, staff and students – and acts as a resource to the Norwich community. The senior editor also leads internal and external writers and other Communications and University staff to ensure site content is accurate, well-crafted and engaging, meets both client and University needs, aligns with the NU brand strategy and meets University Web style standards.
Also, the editor creates and maintains an editorial calendar with an eye toward publishing content that supports University efforts and timetables, such as recruitment cycle, alumni events, etc.
The successful candidate for the Senior Web Editor position will work with University web properties - including an annual review of all web content (copy, images, videos, and documents) - and constituents on a regular basis with an eye toward:
• Content strategy: developing an overarching plan for content production.
• Voice and persona
• Social media
• Authority and credibility
• SEO and other visibility & traffic generating tactics (online and offline)
The successful candidate will lead content development from scratch to submission and work with the Director of Web Services and the Office of Communications team including
• Initial concept & timelines
• Research & Writing
• Monitoring and Reporting on Analytics
• Proactively creates, communicates, maintains, reviews & executes editorial calendar.
• Research & authors long and short form stories that help tell the NU story.
• Review and maintain all website copy. Works with University clients to help develop new content, inform them of how we may improve the user experience and expand the University’s reach and meet predefined goals.
• Review and maintain our web & print style guide.
• Creates, supervises, and manages content creation for any number of web projects including eNewsletters, satellite websites, and surveys.
• Coordinates with Communications team members on story and content development, design, video and photography needs.
• Bachelor's degree, preferably in communications, creative writing, or news journalism, with at least two years of experience with writing content for the web or a related medium.
• Content creation skills as well as strong editorial skills are a must.
• Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
• Ability to manage large and long range projects as well as day-to-day tasks
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and to work as a team member as well as independently
• Ability to create and articulate processes, to seek out or build tools as needed
• Experience with WordPress
• Understanding of use of the web for building dynamic, personalized, integrated, and strategic relationships between the college and external constituents
• Ability to embrace new tools and online mediums and to learn how best to leverage them to NU’s advantage.
In addition, this position requires a high degree of initiative combined with team awareness and interaction. The ideal candidate is experienced with producing content for a variety of online delivery channels including websites, blogs, eNewsletters, video, etc. The ideal candidate will:
• Be active with social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)
• Understand basic search engine optimization principals
• Understand WordPress networks
• Understand mobile applications
• Has familiarity with online maps and virtual tours
• Understand web analytics and how to use them to develop content to achieve goals
• Video production, editing, and promotion
Norwich.edu is the primary web presence for Norwich University and currently has nearly 5000 valid content URIs (web pages, images, videos, & documents). The University's web presence is evolving and infrastructure and content are changing. The University web presence is made up of several sub-sites which earn an average of 110,000 visits (in sum) each month. Norwich.edu is critical to the University's mission to inform prospective students, parents, alumni, surrounding communities, and the global community not only what we offer academically but where and how our students and alumni make significant contributions to the global community. The Web Services team is preparing to lead the University through an in-depth content and information architecture strategy and this position will be an integral part of this project.
Please send a letter of application, work samples, and résumé to: Senior Web Editor Search by email to email@example.com.
March 14, 2014
Norwich University is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental, group life and long term disability insurance, flexible-spending accounts for health and dependant care, a retirement annuity plan and tuition scholarships for eligible employees and their family members.
Norwich University participates in E-Verify. (Español)