At Norwich there are 10 residence halls in three housing areas. The largest is called the Upper Parade Ground, which has eight residence halls built around a line of grassy quadrangles—the space where fall and spring outdoor parades and ceremonies are held. These buildings house the Corps of Cadets.
Crawford Hall, located along Northfield’s main street adjacent to the Admissions building, houses both cadets and civilian students.
The third housing area is South Hall, Norwich’s newest all-civilian dormitory. Located on the south end of campus, the surroundings are being developed for future residence halls.
We currently have more than 1,800 residential beds on campus. Virtually all cadets, and freshman and sophomore civilian students, reside on campus along with some of our upper-class civilian students.
Every hall has coin-operated washers and dryers, vending machines and a microwave oven for student use. All are smoke-free. The housing officer may place students in academic singles if they meet requirements dictated by the director of the Learning Support Center, and only if space is available.
Are you a new student? Visit our Orientation Housing page.
Built in 1905, Alumni Hall currently houses 200 cadets.
Completed in 1988, Crawford houses about 104 students of both lifestyles. This residence hall has an elevator and furnished lounges with TVs on all but one floor. This building is mostly triple rooms. It is named after David C. Crawford, Class of 1952.
Built in 1937, Dodge Hall houses civilian and Corps students. It was named for Maj. Gen. Grenville M. Dodge, who graduated from Norwich in 1851.
Built in 1962, Gerard is the newest residential building on the Upper Parade Ground. It houses 180 cadets and was named for industrialist Jacques A. Gerard.
Housing approximately 167 cadets, Goodyear Hall was built in 1955. The building was named for trustee Maj. Gen. Conger A. Goodyear.
Built in 1940, Hawkins houses 134 cadets. It was named after Norwich benefactor Gen. Rush Hawkins.
Patterson was built in 1958 and houses 127 cadets. The building was named after Harry W. Patterson, a 1909 graduate and trustee.
Ransom Hall houses 137 cadets and venerates Col. Truman B. Ransom, the second president of Norwich.
South Hall is the newest residence hall at Norwich. Built in 2009, it houses more than 280 civilian students. Amenities include a fitness center, lobby with information desk, acoustic room with piano, enclosed and open lounges, enclosed study rooms with AV capabilities and multiple bathrooms on each floor. This building includes double and single rooms. A quiet floor is also available to students upon request.
Wilson Hall was built in 1961. It houses 137 cadets and was named after lawyer Stanley Calef Wilson.