Graduate frequently asked questions

How do I make payment?

Through NUPay, or mail a check drawn on a US bank to:

Bursar’s Office
Norwich University
158 Harmon Dr.
Northfield, VT 05663

My student loans are more than my bill; do I get the difference?

Yes, once all the requested paperwork has been received and processed by the Norwich University Financial Planning Office your loans and aid will be disbursed. Refunds will only occur on those accounts that have a credit balance. Allow 2 to 3 weeks for processing the refund check once funds have been received on your account.

back to top

Can I pay my bill with Veteran’s benefits?

Students utilizing VA benefits that are paid directly to the student do not qualify for bill deferment and are required to pay tuition and fees in full prior to each semester. The Registrar’s Office will certify the enrollment for the VA after each semester begins. Questions regarding the process should be directed to the Registrar’s Office at 802.485.2255.

back to top

What do I do if my employer is paying my tuition?

Please provide forms (letters of credit, purchase orders, military form 1556 or 2171 or appropriate billing documents) and supporting documentation with your Remittance Form prior to enrollment to the Office of the Bursar. Please be aware Military TA invoicing will be after enrollment and TA funds can take up to six to eight weeks to arrive. The balance due on the bill minus the TA amount (on the submitted TA form) is due by the due date.

back to top

Financial Aid Information

The information below will help guide you through the process to apply for federal student loans. Please feel free to contact our office at 802.485.2015 with any further questions.

back to top

Are there Scholarship opportunities for graduate students?

The federal government does not currently offer any scholarships or grants for graduate students. We recommend that you speak with your employer for any scholarship opportunities that would be available to you through your company. You may also contact your local state department of education who may be aware of graduate scholarships that are offered. We also recommend that you speak with your program of interest as they may also know of some outside scholarships in your field of study.

back to top

Where and how do I apply for federal student loans?

The first step to applying for federal student loans is to complete the FAFSA(Free Application for Federal Student Aid). You can do this online at, or request a paper application from our Student Financial Planning Office. You will also need our federal school code – 003692. It is very important that you FAFSA information reflect this school code. This will let the federal processing center know that you are requesting your information be made available to Norwich University.

back to top

What Federal loan programs are offered to graduate students?

Graduate students qualify for the Federal Stafford Loan.

back to top

The Stafford loan has two different parts, Subsidized or Unsubsidized. What is the difference between the two?

Subsidized Student Loan
U.S. Department of Education pays interest while borrower is in school and during grace and deferment periods.
Unsubsidized Student Loan
Borrower is responsible for interest during life of loan, financial need not a requirement. Borrowers have the option to pay the interest on the unsubsidized Stafford loan or the student can choose to accrue the interest. The student will need to decide this with their lender.

A graduate can be eligible up to $20,500 within a federal academic year. Your loan eligibility is determined by the cost of tuition for the program and the student EFC (Expected Family Contribution).

It is important to remember that you will not have to start repayment on the principal of the Stafford Subsidized or Unsubsidized loan until after you complete or withdraw from the program.

back to top

Do I still have to pay my undergraduate loans while attending the graduate program?

You will need to contact your lender and discuss with them the process to put your loans into a deferment status while you are attending the program. Most lenders will require that a deferment form be completed by Norwich University, confirming your enrollment in the Graduate Program. You will need to send any forms requesting deferment to the Graduate Registrar’s office.

back to top

What does the Federal Government consider an academic year?

The federal government runs their academic year from July 1st of the current year until June 30th of the following year. Your loan eligibility will be determined by when you are enrolling within the government academic calendar. This will also determine what FAFSA form you should be filing. If you have further questions on the correct FAFSA to be submitted, please contact the Student Financial Planning Office at 802.485.2015.

back to top

Connect with us

Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663 USA
802.485.2000 | 1.800.468.6679
Copyright © 2018 Norwich University - all rights reserved