Items cadets must have on arrival
Rooks should arrive wearing khaki pants (chino-style), a short-sleeved white dress shirt, plain (w/o pattern) black tie (male), black necktab (female), and athletic footwear (sneakers).
Rooks are also required to have with them 1 pair of tan military-style combat boots and 1 pair of black military shoes.
*Available for purchase at the university bookstore
**Available for purchase at the Cadet Uniform Store
The following is a list of required items for incoming Rooks to have upon arrival at Norwich.(Exact brand not needed)
- 2 pair khaki pants (please arrive in one) with back pockets
- 1 plain white short-sleeved dress shirt: not a polo shirt, no logo (please arrive in short-sleeved shirt)
- 1 plain white long-sleeved dress shirt (no logo)
- 1 black tie(males), necktab(females) – sent by mail in the summer
- 1 pair athletic sneakers (running)
- 1 pair tan military-style combat boots (All boots must only lace up and can NOT have zippers.)
- 1 pair black military-style dress shoes (The shoes will be plain black leather or patent leather military style. The shoes will have a non-contrasting sole and normal standard heel. Rubber soles are recommended due to the climate in Vermont.)
- 14 white crew-neck T-shirts (no V neck)
- 14 pair black dress socks
- 10 pair all white athletic socks (crew length no logo above the heel)
- 3 black/white sports briefs or compression shorts
- 14 pair white briefs or boxers
- 14 white or beige bras/sports bras)
- 14 pair white or beige underwear
- Barrettes/elastics (match to hair color; no fabric or scrunchies)
- Bobby pins* (required only if hair is below collar length)
- Hair spray or gel (example: L.A. Looks Sport Gel)
- Laundry soap and bleach
- Sewing kit and scissors**
- Shoe polishing kit (black polish, cotton balls, shoe brush, cloth)** (For Rooks who have polish-able leather shoes)
- Hangers – Plastic(black or white) or wooden-25 minimum*
- 1 wristwatch (inexpensive, conservative color required; water resistant recomended)**
- 1 table alarm clock (no clock radios)*
- Toiletry items (deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste, soap, shaving cream, razor, etc.)*
- Ball point pens (black or blue ink)*
- 5 dry-erase markers (black only, fine point)*
- Computer account and password information
- Black fine point permanent marker
- Broom and dust pan*
- Landline Telephone
- Briefcase/ attaché-style book bag (canvas or vinyl – black in color)*
- Student athletes are required to wear a sports coat, dress shirt, tie, dress pants, belt, and shoes when traveling to away game. Rooks who will be a member of a varsity team are permitted to bring appropriate clothing.
We strongly recommend freshmen use the University linen service; however, if you are NOT planning to use the linen service, you will need to bring:
- 1 pillow, standard size**
- 4 white sheets, twin size, flat not fitted
- 2 white pillowcases
- 5 white towels, bath size
- Quarters for laundry or money on the Cadet Cash Card ($3.00 buys one wash and one dry cycle)
- Desktop or laptop computer – visit the Computer Services page for minimum technical requirements
- Surge Protector – 3 Prong-UL listed
- Ethernet Cord (minimum 5 ft., no longer than 20 ft.)
- Scientific Calculator*
- Camera (inexpensive)
- Desk lamp
- Hand towels, washcloths
- Cleaning rags/glass cleaner/furniture polish
- Extra pair of running shoes
- Tan boot cleaning kit
- 1 pair thermal underwear ** (may purchase after arrival on campus)
- 1 iron**
- 1 ironing board**
- 3×5 Index Cards, lined*
- School supplies*
- Manicure kit/nail clippers
- Cell phone – recommended for travel purposes to and from campus. However, cell phone use is restricted while on campus.
- Rooks serving in the National Guard or Reserves may bring equipment and uniforms required for weekend drill
- A suit or sports coat may be needed for certain class presentations.
*Available for purchase at the University Bookstore
**Available for purchase at the Cadet Uniform Store
What NOT to Bring
The following is a list of items that incoming Rooks SHOULD NOT bring with them when they arrive at Norwich:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Civilian clothing (other than business attire recommended for athletes)
- Computer games
- Desk blotters
- Electric Razors
- Electrical devices or cooking appliances – such as refrigerators, game systems, speakers, coffee pots, microwaves, or electric water heaters
- Expensive items (jewelry, cameras, etc.)
- Illegal drugs or steroids
- Music CDs, stereos, or mp3 players
- Plastic crates, posters, framed pictures, room decorations
- Stuffed animals
- Television sets
- Tobacco products
Items Norwich issues to Rooks
The following is a list of uniform items and equipment that Norwich issues to Rooks. You DO NOT need to bring these items with you.
Items issued on your arrival
- Rook Book
- Rook Cap
- Trash Can
- Hydration System
- Cleaning Kit
- Gold Blanket
- Maroon Blanket
- Belt w/ Brass Buckle
- Rigger Belt
- Reflective Belt
- NU Uniform Insignia
- White Name Tag
- ACU Name Tapes
- Pair Boot Bands
- Pair Shirt Stays
- Shower Shoes
- Knit Hat
- ACU Shirts
- ACU Trousers
- ACU T-Shirts
- Sweat Suit
- Running Suit
- PT T-Shirts
- Pair Running Shorts
Rooks will be issued the following the week they arrive:
- S/S White Shirts
- Garrison Cap
- White Service Cover
- Gray Service Cover
- ACU Cover
- Cadet Windbreak
- Pair Gray Trousers
- Black Rain Jacket
- Pair Black Gloves w/Liner
- Laundry Bag
Rooks will be issued the following during the fall semester:
- Pair White Trousers
- Fleece Jacket
- Pair White Suspenders
- L/S Black Shirts
- Pair White Gloves
All Rook issue items may not be available for immediate distribution.
Rooks serving in the National Guard or reserve may bring equipment and uniforms required for weekend drills.
Student athletes are required to wear a sports coat, dress shirt, tie, dress pants and shoes when traveling to an away game. Rooks who will be a member of a varsity team are permitted to bring appropriate clothing.
For any questions feel free to email or call the Uniform Store at:
158 Harmon Dr., Northfield, VT 05663
Cadet Uniform Policy
The Cadet Uniform Fee for incoming Rooks this year will be $4068.00. The cadet uniform fee is divided into four equal payments due the first four semesters of a student’s Norwich career. If a student leaves the Corps of Cadets (either to leave Norwich University or transfer to the civilian lifestyle) he or she is still responsible for meeting this uniform fee obligation.
The Uniform Store will give a student full credit for items not yet issued. However, no credit will be given for any items special ordered for the cadet (for example-name tags, tapes) or items of a personal nature (for example- bathrobe, shower shoes, blankets).
Any items that have been issued to the cadet may be considered for a partial credit from the uniform store. Rebates on these items are up to the discretion of the Uniform Store Manager.
Should the cadet withdraw from the Corps of Cadets or require a transcript, the full cost of the uniform, to include both the billed cost and the remaining unbilled cost of the uniform (less any approved refunds) will be applied to the student’s account and must be paid. There is an automatic hold on transcripts for any student whose student account is not paid in full.
If you have any questions regarding the Cadet Uniform policy please contact the Uniform Store
at 802-485-2206. If you have any questions regarding the billing process please contact the Bursar’s Office at 802-485-2055.
Thank you in advance for your consideration with this matter.
Recommended shoes and boots
Shoes must be plain black leather or patent leather military style. The shoes will have a non-contrasting sole and normal standard heel. Rubber soles are recommended due to the climate in Vermont. Shoes are not allowed to have a toe cap or stitching across the toe and may not be slip-on in style.
Boots must be tan military-style combat boots, 8-inch Field Boot. No side zippers, No Air Force Sage boots, No Marine Corps Olive boots allowed.
There are three styles of boots that we, at the Uniform Store, recommend for incoming Rooks based on experience and testing. With our experience, we feel that a temperate (Gore-Tex) or a summer boot are the best for the initial months, and the Rooks should look into winter boots after some time in the colder weather.
|Unlined||Waterproof Liner||Waterproof Liner|
|Quick-drying||Sole better for winter months||Sole better for winter months|
|Feet stay cooler||Takes longer to dry||Takes longer to dry|
|Not waterproof||Feet may sweat in warmer environments|
Rocky C4 Trainer
|Belleville 790||Belleville 795|
For examples, visit:
Recruits with questions, or having difficulty finding the correct boot or shoe, should contact the Cadet Uniform Store at 802-485-2206.