Methods of Social Science Research Projects Fall 2009, Prof. Elizabeth Maier
One course had three separate service-learning projects. Students were divided into three groups. Each student worked on one of the following:
- Brown Public Library
- Students created a survey for the library to gauge public use of the library and its services, ask what the library does well, and what the library could improve. The students completed the survey design in the fall. The library and its board members approved of the survey and it was distributed to residents of Northfield on town meeting day.
- Northfield Boys and Girls Club
- Students created a survey for the club to give to its participants. With the resignation of the club’s director, the survey hasn’t yet been used.
- Northfield Recreation Committee
- Students created a survey to inquire of Northfield residents if they used local recreation facilities, ask what are the recreation needs of the population, and how current facilities could be improved. The survey was sent to Northfield residents with their utility bills. The survey results will be used to determine how the committee spends its scarce resources.